• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CPPNick

Simple Point Light Tutorial- link me plz?

This topic is 3158 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am working through the DirectX tutorials right now, but only found a tutorial with a simple directional light. I need a simple example of the proper implementation of a point light. I know the theory behind lighting/phong shading, but I'm a little foggy on the specifics in HLSL. This was my shot in the dark(pun intended lol):
float4 PS( PS_INPUT input ) : SV_Target
{
	//return saturate( dot((float3)LightDir, input.Normal) ) * DiffuseTexture.Sample(samLinear, input.Texcoord);
	return saturate( dot( normalize((float3)input.Pos - (float3)LightPos), input.Normal) ) * DiffuseTexture.Sample(samLinear, input.Texcoord);
}

I kinda just rewrote the shader output with the same setup as the directional light... any ideas? links to tutors? thanks for any help =)

Advertisement
That one should kinda work, though you should do LightPos-InputPos, not the other way around. Also, is input.Pos in the correct space?
If it's the projected vertex from the vertex-shader then it won't work, you need the world-space position. So you would pass along two positions from your vertex-shader, the standard projected position and the input-position to the vertex-shader unmodified (or multiplied only by the world-matrix if you have a world-matrix).

no, it's not in the correct space =/

I thought of that, but HLSL seems to be unpredictable most of the time for some reason..
I have:

struct PS_INPUT
{
float4 Pos : SV_POSITION;
float3 Normal : NORMAL0;
float2 Texcoord : TEXCOORD0;
};

PS_INPUT VS(VS_INPUT input)
{
PS_INPUT output = (PS_INPUT)0;
output.Pos = mul(input.Pos, World);
output.Pos = mul(output.Pos, View);
output.Pos = mul(output.Pos, Projection);
output.Normal = mul(input.Normal, World);
output.Texcoord = input.Texcoord;

return output;
}

so I tried:

struct PS_INPUT
{
float4 Pos : SV_POSITION;
float3 Normal : NORMAL0;
float2 Texcoord : TEXCOORD0;
float4 Pos2 : SV_POSITION2; //extra variable
};

PS_INPUT VS(VS_INPUT input)
{
PS_INPUT output = (PS_INPUT)0;
output.Pos = mul(input.Pos, World);
output.Pos = mul(output.Pos, View);
output.Pos2 = output.Pos; //save an unprojected copy
output.Pos = mul(output.Pos, Projection);
output.Normal = mul(input.Normal, World);
output.Texcoord = input.Texcoord;

return output;
}

I got a memory access error though when I tried to use this =/

edit- yeah..grr...this line gives me an access violation when I add it into my pixel shader input struct:

float4 Pos2 : SV_POSITION2;

ONE LAST Edit: OK!
I tried taking off the "SV_", and now it works. There are a few very strange nuances in this language...anywho, I'm off to read this:

http://www.neatware.com/lbstudio/web/hlsl.html

thanks again for the help!

[Edited by - CPPNick on October 27, 2009 5:23:48 PM]

Not quite right yet, still need to factor in the distance, but much better than before:

DirectX per pixel point light:

My software renderers per vertex lighting:
eww...this thing could definately use some AA...lol

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!