Simple Point Light Tutorial- link me plz?

Started by
2 comments, last by CPPNick 14 years, 5 months ago
I am working through the DirectX tutorials right now, but only found a tutorial with a simple directional light. I need a simple example of the proper implementation of a point light. I know the theory behind lighting/phong shading, but I'm a little foggy on the specifics in HLSL. This was my shot in the dark(pun intended lol):

float4 PS( PS_INPUT input ) : SV_Target
{
	//return saturate( dot((float3)LightDir, input.Normal) ) * DiffuseTexture.Sample(samLinear, input.Texcoord);
	return saturate( dot( normalize((float3)input.Pos - (float3)LightPos), input.Normal) ) * DiffuseTexture.Sample(samLinear, input.Texcoord);
}

I kinda just rewrote the shader output with the same setup as the directional light... any ideas? links to tutors? thanks for any help =)
Advertisement
That one should kinda work, though you should do LightPos-InputPos, not the other way around. Also, is input.Pos in the correct space?
If it's the projected vertex from the vertex-shader then it won't work, you need the world-space position. So you would pass along two positions from your vertex-shader, the standard projected position and the input-position to the vertex-shader unmodified (or multiplied only by the world-matrix if you have a world-matrix).
no, it's not in the correct space =/

I thought of that, but HLSL seems to be unpredictable most of the time for some reason..
I have:
struct PS_INPUT{    float4 Pos : SV_POSITION;    float3 Normal : NORMAL0;    float2 Texcoord : TEXCOORD0;};PS_INPUT VS(VS_INPUT input){	PS_INPUT output = (PS_INPUT)0;    output.Pos = mul(input.Pos, World);    output.Pos = mul(output.Pos, View);    output.Pos = mul(output.Pos, Projection);	output.Normal = mul(input.Normal, World);	output.Texcoord = input.Texcoord;	    return output;}

so I tried:

struct PS_INPUT{    float4 Pos : SV_POSITION;    float3 Normal : NORMAL0;    float2 Texcoord : TEXCOORD0;    float4 Pos2 : SV_POSITION2; //extra variable};PS_INPUT VS(VS_INPUT input){	PS_INPUT output = (PS_INPUT)0;    output.Pos = mul(input.Pos, World);    output.Pos = mul(output.Pos, View);    output.Pos2 = output.Pos;                     //save an unprojected copy    output.Pos = mul(output.Pos, Projection);	output.Normal = mul(input.Normal, World);	output.Texcoord = input.Texcoord;	    return output;}

I got a memory access error though when I tried to use this =/

edit- yeah..grr...this line gives me an access violation when I add it into my pixel shader input struct:

float4 Pos2 : SV_POSITION2;

ONE LAST Edit: OK!
I tried taking off the "SV_", and now it works. There are a few very strange nuances in this language...anywho, I'm off to read this:

http://www.neatware.com/lbstudio/web/hlsl.html

thanks again for the help!

[Edited by - CPPNick on October 27, 2009 5:23:48 PM]
Not quite right yet, still need to factor in the distance, but much better than before:

DirectX per pixel point light:

My software renderers per vertex lighting:
eww...this thing could definately use some AA...lol

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement