• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
moswald

Looking for new 2D C++ game engine

This topic is 3274 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have used HGE for a couple of projects in the past, but updates to the codebase stopped quite awhile ago (although the forums are still fairly active). I don't mind using it, but I figure it's been so long since I've looked, there must be something new out there.

Advertisement
If it does what you need, or can be modified to suit, why do you need a 'new' engine. I'm not familiar with HGE since I've always rolled my own 2D engines, but, as a general rule, I'll take a golden-oldie over buzz-words and the latest fad engine any day of the week.

There's www.sfml-dev.org . It's new, C++ based and cross platform. There's bindings for other languages too. I'm fairly new to game programming and this was a breeze to get up and running.

Quote:
Original post by Ravyne
If it does what you need, or can be modified to suit, why do you need a 'new' engine. I'm not familiar with HGE since I've always rolled my own 2D engines, but, as a general rule, I'll take a golden-oldie over buzz-words and the latest fad engine any day of the week.

I'm happy to stick with HGE, but I'd prefer to use something that is being actively maintained. Also, the art of programming is fluid, and there may be new techniques or technologies that a newer engine has implemented. For instance, HGE is based on DirectX 8 (there is a port to DX9).

Quote:
Original post by mongrol
There's www.sfml-dev.org . It's new, C++ based and cross platform. There's bindings for other languages too. I'm fairly new to game programming and this was a breeze to get up and running.

SFML looks nice, I'll take a longer look at it later.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!