• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
doorspawn

quickest x-platform way to framebuffer in sys-memory

This topic is 3157 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

what library / tool should i lookup to do this ? i want to draw my screen in system memory then copy it to video memory every frame i want 24 or 32 bpp i want to use double-buffering so I can multi-thread and use one thread to copy the screen my game is 2d but I want to do funky effects that gl shaders can't do how many hz/ms would be good for this, say at 1600x1200 = ~8MB per screen for example on a core 2 duo, nvidia 8600 will the slowest part be memory or video transfer ? i want it to run on windows + linux. i guess apple too what's the best way to do it ? difficulty doesn't matter thanks

Advertisement
What funky stuff do you want to do that shaders can't do? You might be surprised at what can be done in shaders.

You can probably do it with OpenGL - just upload a new screen-sized texture each frame and draw a single quad over the whole screen. I'm not sure how fast it'll be, but I can't imagine there being anything faster.

Quote:
Original post by Antheus
PixelToaster.
Yes! I was trying to think of the name of this project when I was writing my reply, but I couldn't remember :-)

Note that PixelToaster is built on top of DirectX on Windows and OpenGL on Linux/Mac. It does pretty much what I said to do in my post, except that it's a bit nicer since it provides a simple interface that is common amoung all platforms.

Quote:
What funky stuff do you want to do that shaders can't do?

custom blending, shapes (ovals etc) with a pretend depth-buffer so i can squash them around, small changes to final pixel positions, rendering to texture is overkill here. tracing through object groups in memory and caching them if they are seen.

Quote:
You can probably do it with OpenGL - just upload a new screen-sized texture each frame and draw a single quad over the whole screen. I'm not sure how fast it'll be, but I can't imagine there being anything faster.

this would make latency since the video card has to copy the data, but it shouldn't have to
it does work though, i am using it now although i have some bugs

thanks, will look at pixeltoaster now

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!