• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
EnlightenedOne

DX11 DX + XNA on the XBOX360, what of the next Gen?

This topic is 3253 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there all im studying DX in my spare time at version 9 currently and I had generally heard you need to use XNA to program games for the XBOX360s Live Arcade I heard there was a game called dirt using DX11 for the XBOX 360 (this is when the penny dropped its not just a matter of XNA on the 360) so I am at the conclusion that XNA is (not to cause an uproar) somewhat easier to engage and learn but not the only route you can take. I am curious if games can run DX or XNA then can Live arcade games use either format? or have I got my facts wrong!. DX is independent of XNA in terms of expanding development of Direct3D features right? Will the next generation of consoles be using DX11 and XNA or some newer version of XNA with DX11 or will XNA bite the dust with the next generation. Can anyone clear the issue up more. Im just curious as to the ability of someone writing DX9 code in C++ + Visual Studio 08 to compile a game onto a disc and have it be runnable on the XBOX360 as a legitimate game considering I just realised it must be able to use DX is there a generally available SDK for xbox game development or is it rather hard/impossible to get authorisation for resulting in people having to use XNA to publish games onto the XBOX at all explaining the frenzy of XNA games in the XBOX arcade? What is everyones thoughts on the matter, can anyone clear cut what you can and cant do and also what formats are usable for doing what on the console? Everyone is welcome to give an opinion but I figured this would make an interesting debate to have aswell as be rather informative, when it comes to discussing what the setup will be on the next generation of Xbox unless I have missed news on that front. :) Cheers all EO

Advertisement
It's very simple:

(1) The 360 does not have support for the D3D11 features, so games cannot be written for D3D11 on the 360. Theoretically, since D3D11 provides feature level support, the XDK could include some capability to write code against the D3D11 API, targeting D3D9-class features, but I know of no such capability. Regardless, this is only of interest to programmers -- to the player, the game will support exactly the same technical capabilities and any attempt to use D3D11 as a selling point is just a marketing gimmick.

(2) With the exception of C# via XNA, you cannot write code for the 360 unless you are a licensed developer. Becoming one requires experience, clout, and money.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!