Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nanobyte

Easiest way to move objects

I have setup a simple class and filled it with six triangles to draw a square. Here is the struct: class MyVertex { public: float x; float y; float z; D3DCOLOR color; }; MyVertex vertices[] = { {0,0,0, D3DCOLOR_RGBA(255,255,255,255), }, {0,.5,0, D3DCOLOR_RGBA(255,255,255,255), }, {1,0,0, D3DCOLOR_RGBA(255,255,255,255), }, {1,.5,0, D3DCOLOR_RGBA(255,255,255,255), }, {0,.5,0, D3DCOLOR_RGBA(255,255,255,255), }, {1,0,0, D3DCOLOR_RGBA(255,255,255,255), } }; My question is after I have rendered this onto the screen, how do I move the object. The above vertices are placed into a vertex buffer and that is whats rendered on the screen. Now, do I have to refill the vertex buffer each time I change a coordinate like this: vertices[1].x = blah . If so, how do I do this? gpDevice->CreateVertexBuffer(6*sizeof(MyVertex), 0, D3DFVF_MyVertex, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, &gpSquare); VOID* pVertices; gpSquare->Lock(0, sizeof(vertices), (BYTE**)&pVertices, 0); memcpy(pVertices, vertices, sizeof(vertices)); gpSquare->Unlock(); Hope I didn''t confuse anyone more than I''m already confused. If I''m leaving anything out, just tell me. Thanks, Chris Lynch

You have to set up a matrix defining the objects orientation in model space and then draw it using that matrix. It's a little confusing at first but to make understanding it easier I'd have to suggest using Drunken Hyena's tutorials at http://www.drunkenhyena.com/docs/d3d_tutorial.phtml
or reading the First Steps to animation by Wolfgang Engel at http://www.directxgraphics.net/tutorials/tutorial2/first_steps_to_animation.html.

Oh yeah I can't forget ol' Microsoft either. Check out the direct x 8 documentation that came with the SDK or go to msdn.microsoft.com or www.microsoft.com/directx

Basically you never directly manipulate an object's vertex buffer to move it. Instead, everytime you need to update it's position (once a frame) redefine a local matrix which is a combination of it's location (translation matix), and it's x, y, z rotation (orientation matrix).

Edited by - infinitycool on July 22, 2001 6:53:14 PM

Thanks alot. I read the Drunken Hyena and created the following function to move my square:

int MoveRight() {
D3DXMATRIX temp;
num = num + .005;
my_square.Fill(&square);
D3DXMatrixTranslation(&temp, num, 0.0f, 0.0f);
my_square.SetWorldMatrix(&temp);

return 0;
}

it works perfect!

Thanks