• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Tano_ITA

Design Patterns and GameProgramming..

This topic is 3242 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, i'm studying "Head First - Design Patterns" and "Design Patterns" of Gang of Four. Now i'm writing my code using always Design Patterns principles with no problems. So my is question is: Is good idea use design patterns for gameprogramming? Above all in a Team? Thanks for your reply and sorry for my english!

Advertisement
Design patterns are standard descriptions of solutions to certain kinds of problems. If a problem you have is addressed by a design pattern, then use it - that is what they are for. There is no reason to not use one if it solves the problem, unless you have a better solution planned.

You should also be careful not to overuse design patterns:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-pattern

Be extra careful about the silver bullet, it is easy to fall into that trap.

Another benefit of design patterns is that they typically enhance code maintainability; other developers are more likely to recognise and understand the approach. This is certainly beneficial when working in a team.

For larger projects you will often create new patterns that apply to your unique problems and which are adopted by the whole team (either formally or informally).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!