vertex array vs display list Just Talk

Started by
11 comments, last by Eber Kain 22 years, 8 months ago
what about using wglAllocateMemoryNV ... which i beleive allocates AGP memory in many cases. this should vastly improve vertex performance, because the graphics card can DMA the data from the memory ... although i guess that that only works for NV cards - but maybe other vendors have a similar function.

I maybe wrong there, i have only just discovered that particular function, and haven''t relly looked into it yet ... just a thought though
Advertisement
Vertex arrays draw fast because they cache the vertex data in the cards memory as long as possable, and any duplicate calls to the same vertes are not repeated, just pulled from the cached ones. Like if i was just drawing quads for my terrain every coord would be supplied 4 times. With a strip every coord is supplied 2 times.
www.EberKain.comThere it is, Television, Look Listen Kneel Pray.
quote:Original post by Eber Kain
If you are drawing it as triangle strips, then your not useing a vertex array are you. I mean you may have an array of vertices, but your not drawing it with glDrawElements(); or anything.

Yes I am! here''s how...

glDrawElements(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP, 2*Width, GL_UNSIGNED_INT, &trianglestrip[0]);

Something else that I learned is that depending on the video card, drivers, display mode, etc... the efficency of using vertex arrays or display lists or the two together was different. But generally vertex arrays were the way to go with display list being a close second and putting a vertex array in a display list provided horible performance.
------------------------------Piggies, I need more piggies![pig][pig][pig][pig][pig][pig]------------------------------Do not invoke the wrath of the Irken elite. [flaming]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement