• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jaykumar

[java] operation on strings

This topic is 3280 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi i want to store two separate strings separated by a space in an array and then retrieve the strings using some indexing method and store them in a 2 dimensional array. in this code the dummy is a character array already populated with the 2 strings using the if condition I'm separating the strings from the dummy array. inside the if condition I'm trying to store the first string in the first row of the 2dim array and the second string in the second row. however when i try to print out the string in temp[row], its printing junk values. please help for(j=0;j<ln;j++) { dummy[j]=total.charAt(j); if(dummy[j]==' ') { temp[row][col]='\0'; System.out.println("word: " + temp[row]); row++; col=0; } else { temp[row][col]=total.charAt(j); col++; } }

Advertisement
temp[row] is a char[] type, the important part being that it is an array type. The toString() of an array type gives the address specifier (that 'junk' being printed). There is no special logic for char[] that converts it to a String automatically.

Also, why not try something like?:

char[][] temp = new char[2][];
String[] s = total.split(" ", temp.length);
for(int i = 0; i < s.length; ++i)
temp = s.toCharArray();

Or, if you can't handle temp being a jagged array;

char[][] temp = new char[2][SOME_MAX_LEN];
String[] s = total.split(" ", temp.length);
for(int i = 0; i < s.length; ++i)
System.arraycopy(s.toCharArray(), 0, temp, 0, s.length());

.. remembering to handle the IndexOutOfBoundsException if a substring of the total string can't fit in a row of temp in this version.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!