• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kilroys2

DX11 Multi-Threaded Rendering with DirectX 11

This topic is 3277 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

After finally grabbing the Vista Platform Update and the August 2009 SDK I've decided to play around with the new multi-threading functionality in DX11. As such I'm looking for some tutorials on getting to grips with this new feature (outside the shipped Sample) and was wondering has anyone come across any yet? I've google'd quite extensively and all I've come across is the various MS/Gamefest presentations as well as the usual announcements on tech sites but nothing in the area of tutorials/examples so any help would be great appreciated. :)

Advertisement
You're right, there isn't much in the way of tutorials/demos (other than the SDK sample which is worth a look) to do with multi-threaded rendering and deferred contexts. Your best bet is to just jump in and give it a shot - set up a render context for each core and send stuff to each, then combine them all in your immediate context and push it all out.

The main thing you're going to run into isn't going to be so much as API issues but actually a higher level idea of how to best utilize these new features - or if you even need them at all. Multi-threaded rendering isn't going to magically increase your performance unless your app/game is a good candidate for it - ie CPU (driver) bound.

Here's a good article I came across when the August SDK first got released. I think it's really well worth implementing something like this, across your whole job system, not just the rendering side of things, to see if your threads are performing optimally.

http://www.rorydriscoll.com/2009/04/21/direct3d-11-multithreading/

Sorry if that wasn't overly helpful but hopefully it will give you something to think about! Good luck :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!