• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Faren

Good C++ tuts/engine?

This topic is 3132 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm not new to programming, but I am new to C/C++. I was wondering what suggestions you all may have for both an engine and a good source of "jump-right-in" tuts for simple games using the engine. I learn best by making things. I would prefer a engine that doesn't have crutches, or is disabled in some way; I'm trying to learn. Available libraries of sound/graphics/etc are not needed; I've been doing 3d models for a long time, and spriting for even longer (5-6 years in my free time), as well as sound... eh, work doesn't apply. I think me-screwing-around-with-audacity-a-ton is the best word. Preferably, the engine will have support for most needs (eg full-fledged engine) (I know it's probably not gonna happen, but I can dream, eh?), but I would like to be able to see a decent tut/engine combination for something simple that just touches on the three main focuses for a game; graphics, code and sound that I could start building on. Thanks for taking the time to read!

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Faren
I'm not new to programming, but I am new to C/C++. I was wondering what suggestions you all may have for both an engine and a good source of "jump-right-in" tuts for simple games using the engine. I learn best by making things.

Preferably, the engine will have support for most needs (eg full-fledged engine) (I know it's probably not gonna happen, but I can dream, eh?), but I would like to be able to see a decent tut/engine combination for something simple that just touches on the three main focuses for a game; graphics, code and sound that I could start building on.

Working the assumptions that you are looking for a free game-engine (with editor and such) that has some tutorials to create some games.

Unity was recently released a free version. It has a few tutorials for a simple 2d platformer game, and a 3d platformer game and a FPS tutorial
http://unity3d.com/

An 'engine' is a pretty broad term. Engines can range from simple frameworks consisting only of the necessities, to big WYSIWYG-style editors. Engines can be tailored for a specific genre. Engines can be suited for certain types of graphics. Until you're being more specific, I'll throw a link to SFML which I think is a great little library for getting something up and running quickly.

Yes, free is good. Also, yes engine is a pretty broad term, but I'm new enough that I don't know the terms to narrow it down. A good starter-friendly engine would be nice, but one that is starter-friendly but goes deeper would be better.

I hope I'm not being too vague :(

Definitely grab the free version of Unity if you are looking to build a game, now that it's free I'm pretty sure there aren't any options even remotely close.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!