• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Good C++ tuts/engine?

This topic is 3038 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm not new to programming, but I am new to C/C++. I was wondering what suggestions you all may have for both an engine and a good source of "jump-right-in" tuts for simple games using the engine. I learn best by making things. I would prefer a engine that doesn't have crutches, or is disabled in some way; I'm trying to learn. Available libraries of sound/graphics/etc are not needed; I've been doing 3d models for a long time, and spriting for even longer (5-6 years in my free time), as well as sound... eh, work doesn't apply. I think me-screwing-around-with-audacity-a-ton is the best word. Preferably, the engine will have support for most needs (eg full-fledged engine) (I know it's probably not gonna happen, but I can dream, eh?), but I would like to be able to see a decent tut/engine combination for something simple that just touches on the three main focuses for a game; graphics, code and sound that I could start building on. Thanks for taking the time to read!

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Faren
I'm not new to programming, but I am new to C/C++. I was wondering what suggestions you all may have for both an engine and a good source of "jump-right-in" tuts for simple games using the engine. I learn best by making things.

Preferably, the engine will have support for most needs (eg full-fledged engine) (I know it's probably not gonna happen, but I can dream, eh?), but I would like to be able to see a decent tut/engine combination for something simple that just touches on the three main focuses for a game; graphics, code and sound that I could start building on.

Working the assumptions that you are looking for a free game-engine (with editor and such) that has some tutorials to create some games.

Unity was recently released a free version. It has a few tutorials for a simple 2d platformer game, and a 3d platformer game and a FPS tutorial
http://unity3d.com/

An 'engine' is a pretty broad term. Engines can range from simple frameworks consisting only of the necessities, to big WYSIWYG-style editors. Engines can be tailored for a specific genre. Engines can be suited for certain types of graphics. Until you're being more specific, I'll throw a link to SFML which I think is a great little library for getting something up and running quickly.

Yes, free is good. Also, yes engine is a pretty broad term, but I'm new enough that I don't know the terms to narrow it down. A good starter-friendly engine would be nice, but one that is starter-friendly but goes deeper would be better.

I hope I'm not being too vague :(

Definitely grab the free version of Unity if you are looking to build a game, now that it's free I'm pretty sure there aren't any options even remotely close.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement