• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
saravanan_nanothink

OpenGL OpenCSG with DirectX

This topic is 3212 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, My remaining part in my modeler is CSG operations(Constructive Solid Geometry), when i searched for pre-compiled libraries for it, i found OpenCSG, but i doubt can it be integrated to OpenGL only? or for DirectX too, can i integrate it into DirectX? can i use it for CSG calc. and DirectX for rendering? if not, which method for CSG is best?, BSP trees or BREPs or any other else. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement
From the OpenCSG site: "it is a rendering library"

It apparently doesn't create models. From the description, it manipulates the z-buffer and stencil buffer to render images. As such, it wouldn't be much help in creating 3D models (if that's what you intend your modeling program to do).

If all you're looking to do is to render CSG structures, it is an open C++ library and claims that it's compatible with Windows. However, for just creating CSG images, POVRay may be more useful.

I tried some DirectX CSG modeling some time ago and, for my skill level at that time, found it easiest to create primitive meshes (for which DX has functions - cube, sphere, cylinder, etc.), combine the meshes, select and delete unwanted faces manually (ugly), select backfaces manually (ugly * 2) and reverse the vertex order of those selected faces to get CW winding for DX. There are algorithms which can be used to detect faces with incorrect winding order in the "final" mesh but I never got that far.

My modeling programs nowadays reflect approaches similar to the popular modeling programs Blender, Softimage, etc. I.e., non-CSG based.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!