• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Setting up SDl_gfx with dev c++

This topic is 3034 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just don't know were I should put the files, and how I should link it, for it to correctly work... i'm new to this stuff, so constructive criticism would be nice... not anything like "you need to learn how to do this correctly.". thanks -IIimage

Advertisement
How to setup a third party library for Bloodshed Dev-C++ 4.9.9.2:

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Go to the start menu.
3) Click on "Control Panel."
4) Open "Add/remove Programs" (winxp) or "Programs and Features" (vista)
5) Search for "Bloodshed Dev-C++" then click "Uninstall"
7) Download and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition (its free!) or Codeblocks (also free!).
8) Install for ten minutes or until golden brown.

How to setup a third party library for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition:

1) Go to "Project->Settings..."
2) Navigate to "VC++ Directories"
3) Select "Include files" under "Show directories for:"
4) Add a new directory and navigate to the "include" directory of your installation of your third party library.
5) Select "Library files" under "Show directories for:"
6) Add a new directory and navigate to the "lib" directory of your installation of your third party library.
7) Click OK.
8) Open your project or create a new project.
9) Go to the project properties by pressing ALT+F7 or navigating to "Properties..." under the Project menu item
10) On the configuration page that appears, click "linker" then "input", and append to your "Additional libraries" field on the right pane.
11) Click OK.
12) Rinse, lather, and repeat for the "Release" configuration.

Overall, you shouldn't use Dev-C++. There are much better freeware alternatives. Anyways, to answer your question, an IDE will generally have a setting something to the effect of "additional include directories" or "library directories", in which when one #include <SDL/SDL.h>, the IDE will find the appropriate file through the "additional include directory" entries. IDEs will also provide some form of libraries you can enter that will be linked to your project, in which case, one can enter "SDL.lib", and the IDE will find "SDL.lib" in one of the "library directories" entries.

• The reason I use dev c++ is because I'm almost always on a computer that is out of date, I have the setup for windows visual 2008 express, but I have a ME computer... so its not going to work... i'm 16, so basicly I want to work with what I have... I know dev c++ is out of date... but its all I can work with.

Also I already have SDL installed to my dev c++ but I got another library called SDL_GFX, and I just don't know were to put the files, i've never really had to move files around.

it would be helpfull if someone who is in the same boat i'm in could help me (well there in a better boat because they have GFX installed to dev)

sooner or later I will get a better computer, but for now I just need help.

thanks
    -IIimage

Use Code::Blocks if you need an IDE that is lighter in weight than VS. Or at the very least wxDev-C++.

You need to look for Dev-C++'s (or Code::Blocks', if you switch to that) project options for (1) linker and include paths, and add the directory of your SDL libraries and include files to that path and (2) additional linker inputs for your project, and add the SDL libraries to that. The process is more or less similar to the one fastcall posted for VS, the windows will obviously be slight different.

You may instead need to add -lSDL and such to the command line of the linker phase. I'm not terribly familiar with how robust (or not) Dev-C++'s UX for this is any longer.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement