• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jinroh

Pointer to a Dynamic Array

This topic is 3275 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

typedef struct 
{ 
   long *array; 
   Childe smallChild; 
}Parent; 

typedef struct 
{ 
   long *arrayPtr; 
}Childe; 

void foo(Parent &p) 
{ 
   p->array = new long[40]; 
   //fill with data into p->array 
   p->smallChild.arrayPtr = p->array; //I shouldn't need to use it like &p->array 
}

This doesn't exactly yield the results I want. I want to be able to use the elements of the Parent structure's array from within the child. However, to save memory I'm trying to just create a pointer to that memory rather than copying the data into another memory allocated array. I'll probably hit myself when I figure out the solution is something stupid, but I just can't think straight about this problem at the moment. AFAIK
int foo[10] = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0};

//ISN'T THE SAME AS

int *foo;

foo = new int [10];

//FILL the Dynamic foo with 1-0

Those two IIRC aren't the same right? The first is a literal array whereas the 2nd is just an int pointer to the first memory location right? So that would make this more to a Pointer to a Pointer problem?
//In a nutshell I'm trying to do something like this.
int foo[10] = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0};

int *fooPtr = &foo;

Just with two dynamic arrays. Any assistance that can be provided with this would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Jinroh
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

This doesn't exactly yield the results I want. I want to be able to use the elements of the Parent structure's array from within the child. However, to save memory I'm trying to just create a pointer to that memory rather than copying the data into another memory allocated array.

Yup, that's what you're doing here.

Quote:

Those two IIRC aren't the same right? The first is a literal array whereas the 2nd is just an int pointer to the first memory location right?

Correct. (However, the first version will decay into a pointer to its contents automatically when needed.)

Quote:

So that would make this more to a Pointer to a Pointer problem?

You'd just do..
int *fooPtr = foo;

..because of the aforementioned decay-to-pointer feature.

Quote:

Just with two dynamic arrays.

Then what you're doing now should be working fine, i.e,

int *a = new int[10];
int *b = a;
// Now a and b point to the same dynamically-allocated region of memory

(As an aside, I am required by law to tell you that typedef'ing structs is not needed in C++, and you should probably be using std::vector for all of this anyway :])

Quote:

Then what you're doing now should be working fine, i.e,

int *a = new int[10];
int *b = a;
// Now a and b point to the same dynamically-allocated region of memory

(As an aside, I am required by law to tell you that typedef'ing structs is not needed in C++, and you should probably be using std::vector for all of this anyway :])

Ok, I'll give it a shot, they're both in reference mode within a function so I may need to dereference them, I'll continue to play around with it, let me know if there's any flaw to this though.

currentChild->arrPtr = Parent->array;

Thanks Matt, I was on kinda the right wavelength at least. ^_^

Quote:
Original post by Jinroh
they're both in reference mode within a function so I may need to dereference them

Not sure what you mean by that.. if you're referring to the way p is passed in by reference in your very first example (void foo(Parent &p)), then you'd need to be doing this:

void foo(Parent &p)
{
p.array = new long[40];
// fill with data into p.array
p.smallChild.arrayPtr = p.array;
}

I didn't bring this up earlier because I thought you'd written this code on-the-spot without test-compiling it first, and that it wasn't what you were questioning about.

EDIT: Fixed

I wasn't doing anything wrong, but the other functions were screwing something up. So I guess it was wrong by association. :P

Thanks. ^_^

[Edited by - Jinroh on November 1, 2009 10:49:21 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!