• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kibokun

Spherical Coordinates Problem

This topic is 3272 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to rotate my third-person camera about a point defined to be fwdDistance units in front of a target model. I'm using spherical coordinates to do it, but when I rotate my model about the Y-axis, my camera zooms in and sometimes flips over the top of the model. I'd like to only move my camera in the Y direction if the player decides to move the camera itself, not the model. Here's my camera movement code. the -.5f is pitch, but I haven't defined that in a variable somewhere yet. fwdDistance is a constant as well as offset.Z.

Vector3 camLookAt = target.Position;
camLookAt.X += fwdDistance * (float)Math.Cos(target.Yaw * MathHelper.PiOver2);
camLookAt.Z += fwdDistance * (float)Math.Sin(target.Yaw * MathHelper.PiOver2);

this.position.X = camLookAt.X - (float)Math.Cos(target.Yaw)*(float)Math.Cos(-.5f)*-offset.Z;
this.position.Y = camLookAt.Y + (float)Math.Sin(-.5f * MathHelper.PiOver2)* offset.Z;
this.position.Z = camLookAt.Z - (float)Math.Sin(target.Yaw * MathHelper.PiOver2) * (float)Math.Cos(-.5f) * offset.Z;

this.view = Matrix.CreateLookAt(this.position, target.Position, new Vector3(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f));
In target.Yaw is only being updated by adding a constant value for each timestep. If anyone can figure out what I'm doing wrong, that would be great. EDIT: I realized what I really wanted was a cylindrical coordinate system for now. Currently players can't rotate the camera about the X axis and that's fine. [Edited by - kibokun on October 30, 2009 4:57:02 PM]

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!