[UFEC] Cycle

Started by
34 comments, last by rip-off 13 years, 2 months ago
Cycle is a strategy board game with trading card game elements. Stats Number of players: 1 or 2, Human vs Human or Human vs Computer Scenario: In casual mode no scenario available. In strategy mode player can select between Lords of Ice (Water) and Brotherhood of Flame (Fire). 4 Elements: Water (Lords of Ice), Fire (Brotherhood of Flame), Proliferation (collection of points in strategic gameplay), Evolution (player has to occupy as much fields as possible) Techniques: Renderer: OpenGL Sound: SDL Sound API Window management: SDL API User Interface: Self made circle menus Target Platform: Linux (Ubuntu), Windows and hopefully Maemo (which is Linux - not sure if I manage to install it there) Check out the Dev Log for further information. [Edited by - XDigital on January 9, 2010 3:00:55 PM]
Advertisement
I know you may laugh, anyway here is the first screenshot for UFEC 09...

It is more than just a black screen, even if it looks like just a black screen. Game mechanics are finished on paper and have to be implemented now.

Time/Task Schedule:

Define Game Mechanics (check)
Implement Game Mechanics (launched)
Define supporting features
Implement supporting features
Define graphics style
Artwork
Sound Design
Implementation of Art and Sound
Balancing
Testing
Documentation

Nice =) I'm still trying to decide on a game idea.
Find here the board of Cylcle. I descided to start with the mechanics completely without graphics and other stuff. It is hard to not open GIMP or Wings3D and just code the essentials, but I think it is important to have a robust core engine. Last time with Libertine I got lost in bugs. This time I try to avoid as much as possible (dare me father, for I must sin!). First interaction is available, fields and nodes are identified and accessable. Just one player.

No new screenshot available. I'm just coding all the basics and essentials, prepare the classes and game architecture. I hope that a clean and secure menu and game flow is worth to spend some more time and effort. However it makes no fun to have just lines of code and no eye candy. There is even no element included yet.
OK, weekend did its best. I finished the menu and user interface. As promissed, it's still ugly without shadows, bloom, blur, particles, high res textures and post processing effects. It's still a menu with a functionality. However it works without memory leak. 24 MB RAM usage for Cycle at this stage. The app itself has in debug configuration 624,8 KB. It would still fit on a 3.5'' disk.

Here the update of the schedule

Define Game Mechanics (check)
Implement Game Mechanics (check)
Define supporting features and AI (launched)
Implement supporting features and AI
Define graphics style
Artwork
Sound Design
Implementation of Art and Sound
Balancing
Testing
Documentation
Industrialisation on Windows/LINUX

And here the proof

After at least 2 weeks of pure coding, research and frustrating pointer errors, I needed to do something nicer than just looking at lines of code. Find the first texture within Cycle. Its the texture used by the player when desciding if human or AI plays.

Rendering with Wings3d - Post-processing with GIMP

plus KI

[Edited by - XDigital on December 6, 2009 10:47:08 AM]
Looks good!

"After at least 2 weeks of pure coding, research and frustrating pointer errors, I needed to do something nicer than just looking at lines of code."

Haha, that is what I've been doing too - code until I can't any more and then work on the graphics.

and because the biggest bug (for now) is fixed, I rewarded myself with a first (kitschy) idea of the background scenery for the "lords of fire". OK, the dragon is taken from TurboSquid.com and he will not be part of the final game, but what is a vulcano without a dragon???

Nice work Xdigital.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement