• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RogerThat123

C++ Rotate a Vec around another Vec

This topic is 3307 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need to rotate a vector around another 3d vector by x degrees. Basically a mirror of my current vector where the mirror is the vector in which we are rotating around. ................Mirror....................... My vec - (<) | (>) - My rotated vec I was looking for a function like VectorRotate(StartVec, Angletorotate, Rotatearoundvector, Rotatedvector);

Advertisement
Quote:
I need to rotate a vector around another 3d vector by x degrees. Basically a mirror of my current vector where the mirror is the vector in which we are rotating around.
Rotation and mirroring are two different things, but I'm going to assume it's vector rotation that you're interested in here.

There's a fairly straightforward equation for computing a rotated vector given a vector, an angle, and an axis, but it's more common to see this particular transformation expressed in matrix form.

Here is a reference that shows how to construct a matrix representing an axis-angle rotation (note that you may need to transpose the matrix depending on what convention you're using). Also, if you're using an existing math library, it's likely you already have a function available that will construct such a matrix for you.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!