• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jimb133

3 years in and i still know nothing new.

This topic is 3125 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

To put it simple i have always wanted to make my own games because i had so many ideas in my mind of what i wanted to make, but when i acually researched on google " Game maker " it would come up with some kids tools which allow you to put your face on a game ( totally boring and waste of time in my opinion ) and yoyo game maker which i thought was just to easy and had many restrictions. i would go on forums trying to find key words and actual programs which would help me to create a game. while looking through a forum i saw the word engine so i started to type things on google like " game engine " and then some of the results was just to much i could handle Of course i knew 2d /3d but some engines only focuse on one dimension so i researched 2d engines and 3d engines and aghhh.... its really a complex thing to make games, the only program i could understand and use for a couple of weeks until i gave up was blender because the game engine for it was not the best. it took many months to find out about c/c++ and i have brought books and tryed to learn them but that was way to hard to learn. i have been redirected to this forum lots of times so now finally i have signed up trying to get some help of what program i should use and some infomation when making a game. thanks , Jim

Advertisement
You've got some options:

1) Never learn programming, and:

1a) Help someone else out with their projects with non-programming related skills like art, level design, music, testing, you name it.

1b) Use some of the game maker programs where you don't need to do any programming (or very limited and straightforward programming). This gives faster results but can be inflexible.

2) Learn programming (takes years) and become able to (theoretically) make any kind of game. However, it doesn't sound like it's your thing. You need to be interested in it for it to be worth it.

3) Hire a programmer to do what you tell him/her. =)

Well do you want to do game PROGRAMMING or simply game design? When creating games there are so many different jobs to be done that in reality on commercial products one person cant do every aspect.. Simply put you have designers , artist , programmers, writers , composers , QA , testers to cover a few. and in reality each one of those categories can be broken down into smaller sub categories. i.e for programmer you might have engine programmers , tools programmers , game programmers, network programmers, AI programmers... and so on.. So what you need to do is decide where you fall in that spectrum and focus on that (Game designer is really hard to start out in for the simple fact is unless you can program or do art of some sort you have a hard time getting help from the other types of people)..

if you want to be a designer then I suggest getting good at your writing abilities and write up some stories and lore and things for your games.. also Google the terms "design document" "game design document" "technical design document" and learn all you can about game design.. and I even think there are some forums on this site that are aimed for the designers.. just learn everything you can about how/why to design something. its hard just keep it up

Have you considered taking a basic C programming course? It will allow you to learn the basics of programming, how programs work, and interfacing with the user / player.

My recommendation would be to start with the basics, looking at programming text based games first to understand the concepts behind game development and user interaction.

I just finished the 2 basic programming courses at the Game Institute ( finally broke because of the constant ads on Gamedev ^^ ) and can vouch for it. It helped me understand the basics of Windows programming and application development, and even write some basic games, although it took a few hours a day, but for understanding programming, it was worth it.

Start small, focus, and be prepared to spend a lot of time learning.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!