• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bottomy

Needs a push in the right direction

This topic is 3278 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm wanting to make a map editor for a game, but im not sure of what i would need to know to be able to get this done. I've never made a game before, so a map editor is also new to me. So far the languages i know and are asm and C and i'm hoping to create the map editor in C. What the map editor needs to do is be able to read the files (.map, .mol, .mel, .txt, .mal, .mac) and build the map accordingly like in the game, and let you edit what you want then save it back into the correct files. The things i need help with/are unsure with are. What maths i would need to know in particular to do with a 3D map editor. Whether to go with OpenGL or DirectX, since the game uses DirectX 9 and i wasn't sure if say, some of the file types i listed above wouldn't be compatible with OpenGL or something like that. I also have no experience in either API, so im not leaning towards one more than the other. Also depending which one i choose where should i start/what tutorial would be good for a beginner but also cover the things i'll need to know. And if there is any other stuff i would need to know to do with making a map editor. So yeh once i have a vague idea of what i need to go learn i can go learn them then once i feel comfortable start on this project :P.

Advertisement
Well one thing that is really important in any project is getting a clear idea of what your goal is.

It's really hard to make a map editor for a game without actually making a game along with it, but it's still possible of course :P

Anyhow, I think what you should do is figure out what features you want in this editor and how you want it to work first.

Then from there, you can start going down the list getting one thing working at a time (and asking questions here or other places as they come up!) until you reach your goal.

I'm a professional game developer now but for many years i was a hobbyist and my #1 mistake (and the same mistake i see everyone else make just about) is not defining clear goals when starting a new project.

You just kinda flounder around and get lost in features that "could be" but if you don't have a game along with this, or a specific goal in mind, you dont actually know what features you are shooting for so you can't ever really be done.

Hope this makes sense and hope its helpful to you (:

As far as what math you need to learn, that depends on what kinds of things you want the editor to be able to do!

So yeah, define what you want the editor to do then come back and ask about anything you aren't sure about.

I think that'll be the best way to go about it!

Ok thanks, gonna start writing down the features i want then :D. But before i do that should i see/workout how each of the files are structured? Cause i know what each of the files that build the finish product (the map) do, but i don't know how each file is structured/read. So should i look into that before i even start with writing down features i'd want to include? I think that's what i should do first, and probably what you guys will say to do first xD.

Lastly about the choice of API should i play it safe and just decide to go with DirectX since that's what the game uses or should i wait until like you said after i got the features i want to include in my map editor then choosing the one best suited. Like how i originally thought i would go about this was, choose the API and learn it and become comfortable with it and learn the maths and basic design of 3D map editors, then get into the rest.

It would definitely be a good idea to see what each of the files supports, so that you can determine what the editor can and cannot do, however, it is also a good idea to write a basic "features wanted" list before looking at the files, as it is easy to get bogged down in the details of a file format.

Take the features you think of, write them into a plan, then execute to see if they can be implemented. It is easier to write a plan first, and then review to see what will and will not work.

And for the API, It wouldn't hurt to learn DirectX if that is what the game is written in, as it could save some headaches later on and the knowledge is easily portable to other applications. But then, to make things simpler, SDL might be a quick way to get the application up and running as well.

I would recommend also look at some other game map format.

I planning of remake of GTA2 so i would look at it's map specs, fortunately it uses simple format for his maps.

I even created new map editor for it. Still alot of work to do but it's already able to load and render GTA2 maps and even save them partially.

I say partially because maps must be compressed for GTA2, but i can't figure out the compression yet. But im working.

Im working on it already 10 months, still can't see textured maps.
So i wouldn't say it's easy.

And you don't have the game yet. Yes you must work out the format first.
Then create basic editor that can produce this map and code your game.

Later you can always improve both format and editor.

BTW: im using Pascal language and OpenGL graphics library.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!