• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
majourab

question about C++ game programming, engine creation

This topic is 3303 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, Im new to this forum and hope you all are doing well. Im currently developing a mod for half life 2 (basic changes to game play but more level design stuff) I want to improve my skills and learn everything that I possible can. I really like the programming aspect of games in general. Im also good at math I do however have minimum knowledge in programming C++. I jjust started and im 20 years old its too late? I have bought this book called beginning C++ through game programming (It basically teaches basic game development in console applications) I am passionate and will do any advice I get from experienced programmers to improve. Im really interested in 3d game graphics and game engines Its what I like to work on in the future. However I do understand there is no way for that to happen if I dont start simple with loops, booleans etc. Im reading the book for now... I can do 3d modeling as well... But when I go through this book what ways are there for me to expand my knowledge with directx or opengl stuff (the cooler more game oriented stuff? will it be too early even then? Any websites you suggest I should check out? can you also be kind to give me plan I should work on ideally to get to what I want to do (create simple 3d game engines 3d games) Basic approach I mean. I do appreciate any expert advice as I am new to this whole thing. Also do you suggest modding games or starting out simple all from nothing (from scratch) This post is all over the place, like bad coding lol Sorry for that I hope I havent bothered or wasted anyone's time

Advertisement
Well my first question is do you like the underlying technology of making games, or do you like the creative aspect of designing levels and coming up with weapons and things?

You probably like the more creative parts right?

Luckily for you, the people that work on that stuff are generally scripters, not programmers (at least for games with large teams).

A scripter uses languages like lua, kismet (in unreal), python, etc to control the logic and flow of game features provided by programmers.

Unless you really want to spend a LONG time getting really good at game programming, and then when you land a job as a game programmer, being pretty far divorced from the creative decisions, you should probably work towards being a scripter which luckily is easier to learn!

I think you are on the right track to becoming a scripter by making mods for games. I say work with as many engines as you can, and learn as much as you can about them.

Make playable demos (with full spit and polish and as few bugs as you can handle) that you can use to really show off your innovative ideas and scripting skills so that you have a good portfolio to prospective employers.

IMO that is the way to success for you (:

majourab, I recommend that first you learn C++, this is a very good online tutorial. From there you have many options and different directions you can take. I would recommend that you start with 2D programming first. SDL is a great library that lets you focus on graphics, input etc. without worrying too much about OS specific code. SDL is great in that it can be used in conjunction with OpenGL. For learning OpenGL I recommend Nehe OpenGL tutorials.

For engine development and game programming in general I strongly recommend this book. It doesn't delve too much into coding but it goes over a lot of key game development concepts and will help you relate maths to game development. You can probably read this book simultaneously as you learn C++, OpenGL etc.

Hey,

I am a design student who studys at artschool and I use c++ and programing alot for creative use. I am 22 and started about one year ago so its never too late (i only had experience with java/processing before starting with c++).
I didnt even buy a book (which is a good idea though) and allready made my way to some more advanced c++ things like template programing and I have to admit its alot of fun even though I figgred that designing your code in a smart way is the hardest part which propably gets only better with the time and effort you put into your learning process.

So yeah, as long as you have enough motivation to wrap your head around things its never too late to learn a programing language (especially since 20 is propably still really young I guess ;))

Well, first of all thank you for reply back with lots of advice and hints :)
I appreciate it all and will definitely take all of them in consideration ;)
Thanks for the motivation that it is not too late :)

I really like the creative side of game development but I have a lot and I mean of respect for programmers because they really make it all happen with the graphics, physics, ai etc! (Not saying any field's job is easier)
Everyone has great game ideas if you ask me and its just about implementing it the right way (this is my view)

I want to be able to see some of my models animate in the future all of it being my work. not running it from back of source engine or etc.
Its difficult but I will try :)

Its too early right now, I will ry my best by learning c++ basics first by finishing the book and moving on to bigger and more graphic oriented tasks :)

Once again thank you so much for replying guys :)

Best wishes,

majourab!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!