• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Cromulent

Problems with air resistance

This topic is 3124 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm having a few problems implementing air resistance in a very simple simulation. Basically I have a bouncing object and I want to simulate the effects of air resistance in my program. Now there seem to be two difference ways to do this: there is Stoke's law which is for objects moving slowly through a liquid or gas or one for objects which cause a lot of turbulence. The first question is what is the cut off between the two? How do you work out which you need to use? For the moment I have just used Stokes Law (even if it is incorrect as it was simpler to implement as a test) which has given me the total frictional drag for that specific time period of the fall / rebound yet I am unclear how exactly to go about applying drag to my object as it falls. I'm sorry if this is a basic question but I'm just getting started with this stuff so be kind :).

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!