• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Toni Petrina

Console window missing when compiling GLUT program in Dev C++

This topic is 3208 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I compiled my project both in Visual Studio 2008 and in Dev Cpp (4.9.9.2 version) with glut according to this link http://www.astahost.com/info.php/installing-glut-dev_t14192.html. However, when I run my program in VS08 I get two windows, standard console windows and GLUT window. But when I create project in Dev (multimedia project -> GLUT)I only get GLUT window and cannot get console window. This poses as a problem since I need console window for stdio operations. How to get console window to appear in Dev?

Advertisement
Quote:

Use the compiler switch /subsystem:console.

That's for cl.exe, the MSVC++ compiler. GCC (used by Dev-C++) will not accept that switch, as far as I know.

You shouldn't be using Dev-C++. If you need to compile on an alternative compiler to Visual Studio's, look into Code::Blocks as it is not a completely dead project.

You can force the creation of a console window using AllocConsole() and freopen(). See the MSDN reference for the Character Mode API.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!