• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Anisotropic Filtering - Horizontal Lines in CSM

This topic is 3037 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

We implemented Cascaded Shadow Mapping and it works fine except on some cards we noticed gray horizontal lines on the screen where (texture maps adjacent at) the splits meet. Closer observation revealed that these lines could be removed by changing the (nVidia) "Anisotropic filtering" from "Application-controlled" to "(4x)". On another card changing "Antialiasing - Setting" from "Application-controlled"" to "(2x)" did the trick. However we assume there exists a software versus hardware solution (ex. modifying the border of the shadow map). Any ideas or insights into this observed behavior is appreciated.

Advertisement
I had the same problem, I simply used overlapping of the frustums. It gives you a perfect solution unless you have blended objects. In that case some blendings will be duplicated at the splits.
I had particles, so I simply removed the overlapping. It caused some unnoticeable depth precision problems of course. (You have to set a very little overlapping value and very carefully, and it will need to be increased for the further frustums).

But you can maybe play with the depth range values for the frustums to overcome this.

I hope that helps.

Thanks. We are blending using PCF_FILTER I believe. Disabling that removes the lines also, and we do overlap the frustums a small amount.

I use GL_CLAMP_TO_BORDER with a transparent color

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement