Lights moving with camera

Started by
5 comments, last by dpadam450 14 years, 5 months ago
Hello, I want to render a simple scene with lights in it. These lights are supposed to be static. However, when I move the camera around, they appear to move with the camera, as if their position was defined relatively to the camera. For instance if I have a specular highlight on a sphere, when I rotate the camera, the highlight always faces the camera, instead of rotating with the sphere, which implies that the light source is moving with the camera. I have defined the lights position in an initialization function as such:
GLfloat position_red[] = { -10.0, -10.0, -10.0, 0.0 };
glLightfv(GL_LIGHT1, GL_POSITION, position_red);
And each frame I place the camera like so (spherical coordinates):
    gluLookAt(
        (float)radius * sin(theta) * cos(phi), 
        (float)radius * sin(theta) * sin(phi),
        (float)radius * cos(theta),
        0, 0, 0,
        0, 0, 1);
And basically when the user moves the mouse around I adjust the values of theta and phi. I don't get what am I doing wrong. How can make the light sources stay static in world coordinates?
Advertisement
You need to set the light position every frame after gluLookat, otherwise it is transformed by the new model matrix.

Treat it just like any other static object in your scene, you render it after you setup the camera.
[size=2]My Projects:
[size=2]Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
[size=2]Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game
Thanks for the quick reply, that makes sense. I'll try it.
I have a new problem. My scene is a cube missing one face so we can see inside. There's a light source inside the cube, and we can see that the faces are lit inside the cube, and dark outside the cube, as we want to.

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2163/50698191.png

However, I also have a light source on the outside of the cube. In theory, it should light up some of the exterior faces of the cube, but it does weird things. Some faces are lit up inside the cube, some faces just don't lit up at all. The same lighting seems applied on both sides of the same face. It's behaving in a completely different way.

On this screenshot, the light source is in the upper-right corner, the specular highlight on the sphere tells approximately in what direction it is. It is outside of the cube completely.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/2426/44598075.png

I would expect the faces facing the light to be lit up, but they are dark, and some of the faces on the opposite side of the cube are lit. Also if I rotate the cube I can see the same lighting is applied on both sides of each face.

Here is some of my code.

I use a material for the red cube defined as so:

GLfloat red_ambient[] = { 0.2f, 0.1f, 0.1f, 1.0f };    GLfloat red_diffuse[] = { 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f };    GLfloat red_specular[] = { 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f };    glNewList(RED_MAT, GL_COMPILE);    glMaterialfv(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK, GL_AMBIENT, red_ambient);    glMaterialfv(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK, GL_DIFFUSE, red_diffuse);    glMaterialfv(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK, GL_SPECULAR, red_specular);    glMaterialf(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK, GL_SHININESS, 64.0);    glEndList();

And the bogus light is defined as such : global variable

GLfloat positionLight1[] = { -10.0f, 0.0f, 10.0f, 0.0f };

Initialization:

GLfloat light_ambient[] = { 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f };    GLfloat light_diffuse[] = { 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f };    GLfloat light_specular[] = { 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f };    glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0, GL_AMBIENT, light_ambient);    glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0, GL_DIFFUSE, light_diffuse);    glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0, GL_SPECULAR, light_specular);

And that's basically it. Here are the general GL calls in the init function:

glShadeModel(GL_SMOOTH);    glClearColor(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0);    glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);    glEnable(GL_LIGHTING);    glEnable(GL_LIGHT0);    glEnable(GL_LIGHT1);    glEnable(GL_LIGHT2);    glDepthFunc(GL_LEQUAL);    glHint(GL_PERSPECTIVE_CORRECTION_HINT, GL_NICEST);    glPolygonMode(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK, GL_FILL);
Quote:Original post by Dr_Asik

However, I also have a light source on the outside of the cube. In theory, it should light up some of the exterior faces of the cube, but it does weird things. Some faces are lit up inside the cube, some faces just don't lit up at all. The same lighting seems applied on both sides of the same face. It's behaving in a completely different way.

If your lights are not lighting up a face as you would expect, check the normals for those triangles and ensure that they are in the correct direction. Are you just using one quad for your box wall, or two (one inside facing quad, and one outside facing quad)?

The triangles need proper normals to have correct lighting. You either need to enable two sided lighting (I think), or generate two triangles with normals facing opposite direction, and enable backface culling if you want to have lights on both sides of a triangle.

Quote:Original post by Dr_Asik

Opengl will not cast shadows for you. If you put 2 triangles one behind the other and shine a light facing the first one, both will appear equally lit. This is why the insides of the box appear lit. If you want to have proper shadowing of objects it is a complex subject.

I think you should seek out some opengl lighting tutorials and read up on them, any basic one should be able to address these kinds of questions.
[size=2]My Projects:
[size=2]Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
[size=2]Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game
Try to use shaders. There you will control all rendering operations.
It is hard to tell what is going on in the second image. As suggested a triangle only has 1 normal, so lighting on one side is not going to work from the opposite side.

Try hollowing out your cube so that it is like a "real" world wall that has thickness.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement