• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AgentFox

How do I make a 2D Ortho Projection? -- Java

This topic is 3206 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wrote a game in C# a while ago, and it used OpenGL. Now when I switched to Java I was pretty grateful that I didn't need an external Graphics Library. I have it set up with a Double Buffer which is much larger then the applet height and width. But I can't find an equivalent Java function to the OpenGL C# function: Gl.glOrtho(); What it does: It takes the rendered area and focuses in on an area. how would I do that in Java?

Advertisement
You create an orthographic projection matrix, and need to multiply all your vertices with it (note: I do not know anything about JAVA, and I have no idea if I'm right here, I'm just telling you how OpenGL/DirectX does it)

Now, I wouldn't know how to create this matrix myself, but luckily microsoft documents it pretty well!

scroll down a bit here

I looked at the code, and it looks like it's for a 3D projection, I might not have been clear on the fact that I need it 2D, like zooming in.

Well you could use a matrix too...

first you want to translate your 'viewing point' to 0, 0, then you want to scale it, and then you want to return to your point...

so create a translation matrix first with, then scale it, then translate back, like this

(I'm assuming you know matrix multiplications and basic matrix operations like scaling and translating)

Translate(-camera.x, -camera.y, 0) * Scale(factor, factor, 1) * Translate(camera.x * factor, camera.y * factor, 0)

Thanks for the replies, although I realized that the method I needed this information for wouldn't work because Java createImage() can't handle the size I need. Therefore I discovered an alternative. I'm done with this thread what do I do?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!