Suggestions for a 3D Game Engine

Started by
17 comments, last by kbar 14 years, 5 months ago
Get Torque. It really improved since its latest version, has great editors and graphics and is specially aimed for the indie developer. But I'm not sure if it's within your budget range: http://www.garagegames.com It's got everything you need and want, and more! :)
Advertisement
deleted
For $99 you can use the state-of-the-art Unreal Engine!
Check out: www.udk.com

As amazing as the Unreal Engine is, I don't know how to link it to Visual Studio Express nor do I know the language (of course, I could learn the language if I could figure out the linking deal)
Quote:Original post by Dryak
As amazing as the Unreal Engine is, I don't know how to link it to Visual Studio Express nor do I know the language (of course, I could learn the language if I could figure out the linking deal)

Not related to game engines but I thought I'd let you know that given you're a student you probably have free access to Visual Studio 2008 Professional via Microsoft's Dreamspark Program.
Correct and I do, but I would like to publish my games for a profit and they won't let me do that on a student license.
Quote:Original post by Dryak
Correct and I do, but I would like to publish my games for a profit and they won't let me do that on a student license.

Where did you read that? It is the exact professional copy, same license. There are conditions listed on the Dreamspark website but they're not part of the official license nor do the forbid the using the software for-profit.
I recently went through myself looking for game engines, I put a list on my site at

Game Engines

But I also would recommend Unity3D or the unreal engine

Both are free and you can use them to make commercial games.

Unreal engine you have to pay 25% royalty on any sales after you earn more than $5000. But this is still very reasonable. You can only use their scripting language though I think, so you won't be able to add to it using C++. But I could be wrong about this so best to investigate a bit yourself.

If your interested in some other ways of developing games you could also check out a small article I wrote that might have some information in it you could find useful... selecting a game engine

[Edited by - kbar on November 7, 2009 4:46:13 AM]
Quote:Original post by kbar
I recently went through myself looking for game engines, I put a list on my site at

Game Engines

That's a rather unusual list, how were they ranked? I haven't heard of quite a few on the list but XNA itself is not a game engine, it is a bunch of frameworks/libraries so I find it difficult to believe it could rank higher than any real game engine, including those that didn't even make the list.

In regards to the new Unreal Engine Indie license it sounds very interesting. It doesn't come with source and 25% royalties will probably hit hard for some but I can't blame anyone for giving it a shot. Having access to a professional AAA-quality engine is quite exciting for indie devs. I know I'll be trying it out sometime in the next couple of months.
The list is not ordered, its just a list of engines I was investigating.

Yes you are right, XNA is a framework, just needed a place to put it since its worth new developers taking a look at if they are interested in making games for the Xbox360.

For a better searchable, rated and ranked list check out devmaster. (Already mentioned in another link further up as well).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement