giving a feel of speed in the game.

Started by
23 comments, last by jackolantern1 14 years, 5 months ago
It's the particle effects of the weapon fire in the first video that does it. You can see how far they shoot, and the smoke trails quickly rush by you.

Also, "speed lines" emanating radially from the center helps.
Advertisement
Well it looks like the velocity of your player is actually slower than that of the planes in ACE Online. :P They pass nearby terrain (the rock arch for example) much faster than when your player passes the buildings.

However, you look like you're still in the phase where you're testing that basic functionality works. Don't worry about presentation issues like this until later.

Once you have bullets, smoke trails, missiles, enemies, and other dynamic objects interacting with the environment and the player, then you'll get a much better sense of speed. At that point you'll be able to much more accurately tweak player speed for gameplay and aesthetic purposes, as well as add in visuals which help signify relative velocity much more effectively than static geometry.

In other words, don't worry about it until much later. :)
How about, take apart scenes in films and games that give a good sense of speed. Here's one of my favorites, The Yuyu, Part Two of the Bitey in Brackenwood series. Try and replicate the various tricks and effects Adam Phillips uses.
Yeah, you need clutter in the space, or else it feels too serene. The video you posted first was action packed with other vessels, bullets, explosions and anime-style special effects, all of which filled the air with points of reference. EvE Online uses little dots that turn into lines as you go faster, so you've always got a clear visual indicator of speed.

Another thing I noticed in the first video that I didn't see in yours is that the player's airplane isn't always right in the middle of the screen. It moves around, like in Star Fox. I'm not entirely sure, but I think this contributes to the sensation, since it breaks the camera and the character apart, making you feel like you're struggling to keep up with your own alter ego.
Another important aspect of the feel is camera lag. In almost all 'fast' games, the camera is on a virtual spring - it falls back a little as you boost, and lags slightly behind the avatar when the avatar is turning.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

ZoE2:

Note how the movements are only fast for a short time, the robot is constantly dashing into some direction, which has a very hectic effect. The camera also needs to catch up to it. Look at some free roaming videos of this game and realize that the effect of speed is completely gone because the dashing doesn't take place at all.

Also realize that graphics aren't the only thing that give you an impression of speed, sound effects and music are very important to give that feeling (e.g. fast rhytmic beats change the way the player feels while playing, therefore the way he plays)

You said you're concerned about ease of melee combat. ZoE in this case uses a lock-on mechanism, as many other Mecha kind of games, to solve that. This way movement is always relative to the enemy. If you want to lock ranged fighters into melee combat at some point, make their maximum speed limited: limited boost gauge, which has to recover.

Also look at Sonic Unleashed
for the close up camera which has to catch up and has an odd FOV. The level design should interest you the most though, because you can see things move past you you think you're really fast.
i see. thanks for the comments everyone,you all gave me some usefull information and i'll start working as soon as i return from school today.
also, i did think about a lock system,but then if i implent it,it will take away the aspect of aiming at your target. imagine in an online game where all you need to do in order to shoot someone is target them,and simply shoot. it will either either always hit or miss from far ranges. so i am not exacly sure about how good it would be to use a lock system.
Quote:Original post by Bru
imagine in an online game where all you need to do in order to shoot someone is target them,and simply shoot. it will either either always hit or miss from far ranges.
At the very least, it can be used to reduce your server load by a huge amount, as you don't need to simulate projectiles on the server anymore - you can determine whether or not they hit as soon as they launch...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by swiftcoder
Quote:Original post by Bru
imagine in an online game where all you need to do in order to shoot someone is target them,and simply shoot. it will either either always hit or miss from far ranges.
At the very least, it can be used to reduce your server load by a huge amount, as you don't need to simulate projectiles on the server anymore - you can determine whether or not they hit as soon as they launch...

i dont realy have to simulate projectiles in an expansive way. projectiles move in a stright line,so this mean i can save the starting position and time of the bullet,and when the client detects a collision send it to the server for confirmation,and then i can simply position = starting position +time*velocity to find out where the bullet is and check if there's collision.
it's not realy that expansive doing it this way.

but i just thought of something with the speed. how about i increase the speed of normal movement,and allow target lock only in melee mode? that way players will still be required to aim when shooting,and will not have hard time fighting in melee while moving fast.
If you created a sort of fish-eye lens effect (or actually distorted the graphics based on speed) you would probably have a much better sense of speed without sacrificing the network speed or the field of view, because things would appear to move faster as they get closer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement