• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Andy474

[XNA] Publishing Query

This topic is 3127 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys hopefully a Quick question. I have a a Solution, my XNA Game (MazeCraze). and i want to publish it to a CD. This Solution Contains:
(XNA Game)            MazeCraze              //Plays the Game
(Windows Forms)       Level Editor          //Allows people to create there own Levels
(XNA Game)            MazeCrazeEngine        //Contains Classes Framework Classes
(Windows Forms)       MazeCrazeLaunchPad     //the Launcher for the game
The Problem. I have tried Publishing but its only seems to create a publish of ONLY the Startup Project. Then it cannot install on another computer. I tried clicking on the Solution, but there is no option to Publish. Is there a way to publish these all as one, so there is only one Installer? I don't want to install all the projects independently each time I install. or will I have to look into creating my own installer? Thanks in advance ~Andy^

Advertisement
The "Publish" button of Visual Studio create a ClickOnce executable which is still not a common way of presenting your game to the public. You can create your own installer using some tools like Inno Setup (it's free, easy and configurable). Give Inno Setup all your executables, resources, documentation and XNA Redistributable and it will create a setup file.

Remember, the user has to install the XNA Redistributable before being able to play the game.

That's also my main criticism of publishing wizard - you cannot publish more than the output of a single project.

I already feel bad if the end user can't even choose the install directory if he so wishes, but dumbing things down on the developer side (ie. not allowing developers to include a Handbook.txt or Website.url in the start menu) really is a questionable decision.

My solution to the issue was to write this: XNA Installer.

It's a template for an .msi setup setup written in WiX, which deploys the required redistributables and can be customized to do anything you want (start menu entries, desktop shortcuts, symbol in the Vista/7 games folder, etc.). The downside is that WiX has a relatively steep learning curve and it may be difficult to do said customizations if you're new to it.

Before I wrote that installer template, I also came across an InnoSetup example for XNA once, but I don't know if this is still around and whether it's been updated to XNA 3.1.

Thanks for the Reply guys :)

I took a look at Inno Setup. But I am a little confused still.

I need to link a MAIN executable. however none of the executables created by XNA when I build will work, because they don't have the proper files and they break; (something to do with Resources etc.)

If I Publish One project at a time, the Setup.exe file created gets Larger, Builds all projects into the same Directory. However, when i install it only installs the last projet.

So the Question:

Where do I get the executables I need?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!