• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Funkymunky

Technical Specifications

This topic is 3324 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In particular, I'm wondering about "DirectX 9.0c, on some judging computers DirectX 10" Am I to understand that we can make a shader model 3 level card a requirement for our game? Seems to clash a little with 2.0 Ghz, 512 MB RAM... but i like ps3.0...

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Funkymunky
In particular, I'm wondering about "DirectX 9.0c, on some judging computers DirectX 10"

Am I to understand that we can make a shader model 3 level card a requirement for our game? Seems to clash a little with 2.0 Ghz, 512 MB RAM... but i like ps3.0...
As I understand it, the minimum spec is a spec above which all judging machines must be. If your entry doesn't run on a judges machine, well, too bad, you don't get the score.

I very much doubt however that anyone will actually judge on a machine that anaemic - I am sitting on a quad-core AMD and an ATI 4870, for instance.

alright, really i'm just wondering if i can make it a requirement for my game to support shader model 3 and not suffer to much in the judgement department. although, i'm not sure i even care if i get a high score

Personally I am using OpenGL 3.2, so that means everybody without DirectX 10 graphics can't play my game. This choice is based on future reuse of bits and pieces of the game. If I wouldn't join in the contest, I would be working on a game targeted at DirectX 10 hardware because we have already seen 3 generations of DirectX 10 hardware (the first DirectX 11 hardware is even in stores already). This means DirectX 10 hardware is widespread by now and DirectX 9 hardware is becoming quite ancient. By the time I would finish my game this argument would be even stronger.

Because there is not really a hardware limit in this contest (its your own risk: if the judges can't run your game, you won't get a score). So this gives me the opportunity to make a game that fits in my own plans (hardware/engine wise).

It seems some Gamedev.net staff members and moderators will want to judge so once they're signed in, I'll display the technical information about their machines.

Quote:
Original post by swiftcoder
I very much doubt however that anyone will actually judge on a machine that anaemic - I am sitting on a quad-core AMD and an ATI 4870, for instance.

It depends if we're doing community based judging, as my WinXP computer is only slightly above the minimum spec. I develop mostly on an iMac, although I sometimes use the older WinXP machine for Windows specific stuff.

(Incidentally, if there's a push for Mac to be added to the available platforms, I'd be happy to volunteer as a judge. I'm assuming it's left off the list due to a lack of judges with Mac computers.)

Quote:
Original post by Trapper Zoid
(Incidentally, if there's a push for Mac to be added to the available platforms, I'd be happy to volunteer as a judge. I'm assuming it's left off the list due to a lack of judges with Mac computers.)
You have a mac, I have a mac, and a good number of the GDNet staff (who might join the judging) seem to have macs, so I am still pushing [smile]

Quote:
Original post by Trapper Zoid

As far as I know this was the main reason for not listing the Mac. I assume it would be perfectly fine to enter with a Mac game if we could guarantee some judges that are able to run the game.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!