• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Repeating textures on a sphere

This topic is 3033 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I've a small problem with calculating a spherical uv map. I use the following equation to get the u and the v values: Now my problem is when I use bilinear interpolation to render the image and my image is smaller than the surface of the sphere, this equation will simply "enlarge" my image. This is absolutely not what I want, I want it to "create" "tiles" so the surface of my sphere is filled with replicas of my image. If you think there is a problem with my bilinear interpolation: on triangles my "tiling" DOES work (combined with bilinear interpolation). So any ideas how I can fix this? Thanks for your time and effort!

Advertisement
You can simply scale up u and v by multiplying both of them by a scaling factor. Make sure your rendering pipeline is configured in a mode where wrapping will repeat the texture (e.g., in OpenGL set GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S and GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T to GL_REPEAT).

Same deal though. Just take the (u,v) coordinates you calculate as above, multiply u and v by the u and v frequencies with which you want to tile (meaning: how may times the texture repeats in each direction). A mod operation is needed later on when you calculate indexes into your texture to wrap the result.

I.e. (simplified),

u = as above
v = as above

u2 = uFrequency*u
v2 = vFrequency*u

textureValue = texture[u2%textureUsize][v2%textureVsize];

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement