Is there a triangulation lib somehwere?

Started by
41 comments, last by MortenB 14 years, 5 months ago
Is there a problem with triangulation or with outline detection?
It seems that you completely ignore my posts although my idea would work.
The second one is not even hard to implement, and don't have so many cases, you have to handle (And probably would work realtime).

And triangulation of areas with holes is seems to be a solved thing out there. Google it.

Or my explanation is unclear?
Advertisement
@szecs: Sorry for the feeling breing ignored, I have read your explanations and also concidered them.
Our main problem at hand is that our efforts of path extrusion are not as stable as the client want them to be (of course without paying for it)
The initial question was about a lib and I have spent quite a time googling, the negative results are the direct cause for the thread here. I wanted to shift my labor from reinventing a probably well solved field to using a library that already has this functionality.
Our solution has issues with outline detection and the resulting data is not easy to triangulate (direct effect)

In summary what I need is a lib for vector drawing that is extrusion of paths and providing additional functionality like stipple pattern onto this extruded line. Ill-defined extruded vertices by our algorithm cause further issues with applying stipple patterns (which is dependent on correct and meaning-full extruded paths)

Edit: There isn't much time of throwing all our algorithms away and try new once (that's why I am rather asking for a lib than for rendering tipps which may not fit in our context). This should not sound unthankful since I appreciate the hints as something to concider
My timezone is GMT+1 so excuse my 'late' postings :)
If you want a library to do this then I can recommend JTS. It's free, open source and very robust whilst still being pretty damn fast. If you look in the developer's guide I think the 'positive buffer' command is what you want.
Sorry, Java is definitely not in discussion
Quote:Original post by Seikilos
It would be more helpful if you specified what languages *were* acceptable...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Sure. Sorry. It's C++ of course.
I seldomly think at other languages when it comes to massive load real time applications
Quote:Original post by Seikilos

If you want relevant and helpful replies then you really should provide more pertinent information up front. Extracting your requirements by trial and error is painful at best.

Frankly I'm starting to think this thread is basically one big Do My Work For Me request. If you were really interested in finding a proper solution you could port JTS (the relevant bits of it at least) to C++ and use that.
Sorry, it wasn't meant as an offence.

I don't want that someome is doing my work for me since I still insist on the fact that even the thread's title implies that I am searching for a library.
Which actually can be interpreted as : Yes I want that someone does the work for me -> the library I am looking for.
However it was definitely my fault not mentioning C++ as the target language. Oh additionally the lib may be closed source too.

The issue is, that I'm lacking the exact term of the kind of work I need to do and for what I am searching the lib. This results in a somewhat shady requirements another problem is, that even we as the developer do not have a detailed specification of client's requirements on how exactly he wants the solution (and he refuses to give us them, but plese, do not drift to project managment issues now).
That's why I am looking for a library that has basically already done 95% of clients whishes even if he doesn't know of them yet.
You know the sooner the deadline the more attention to detail occurs on parts which were implicitly accepted before and now won't
The reason why I'm pushing myself, is that it's quite easy to implement, (line-line intersections,'is point inside a trapezoid', and some data management) and I'm not sure that it is an obvious thing, so maybe there aren't any libs for the outline detection (in the way you want at least).

I don't know why I put so much effort in this one.
I would also really like to know the correct terms for this process, and/or some sort of publication or documentation on it. It seems like a very common thing which is nevertheless quite hard to locate via google.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement