• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

DX11 Scene Transform Hiearchies

This topic is 3028 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok so I am once again overhauling my engine for a new DX11 implementation, and I have revisited the age old question of scene level transform hierarchies. I am debating between 3 different methodologies: *Note for each of these methods, any type of bone hierarchies are maintained within the Model class, with allowed attachment points for any FrameRef to any bone. This supports skinned mesh bones and things like wheels on cars. Method 1: The class FrameRef contains a simple local position and orientation, and a list of children FrameRefs. Classes Camera, Light, and Model derive from FrameRef. A complex hierarchy can be formed with a tree of any of these derived classes as well as instances of non-derived from FrameRefs themselves. For example you could have a Model attached to a FrameRef which is attached to a Camera. Pros: - Very simple design Cons: - There are now 2 very different types of things in the scene graph - Takes extra FrameRefs to introduce an offset (e.g. you want your character facing -z not +z by default) Method 2: The class FrameRef contains a local position and orientation as well as an offset position and orientation. Classes Camera, Light, and Model derive from SceneNode which derives from FrameRef. This is similar to how 3DSMax does its hierarchies, giving one the capability to change the pivot point of an object. To accomplish this with method 1 you would need to use an extra FrameRef. A complex hierarchy can be formed with a tree of SceneNodes. For example you could have a car model that when imported has its pivot 1 meter off the ground (say at the 3D center of the cars bounding box), you could use the offset to push the pivot down to bottom of the wheels. Pros: - Encompasses offset transforms nicely - There is only really one type of object in the scene graph, a SceneNode Cons: - Added complexity in FrameRef Method 3: The class FrameRef contains a simple local position and orientation, a pointer to an optional scene object (such as a camera, light, or model), and a list of children FrameRefs. This is similar to how Ogre does it's hierarchies. Pros: -Ogre does it ? Cons: -Can no longer just add a camera to a scene, need at least a FrameRef and a Camera to accomplish this Any insight would be appreciated. Thanx [Edited by - Ender1618 on November 4, 2009 12:37:29 PM]

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By Stewie.G
      Hi,
      I've been trying to implement a gaussian blur recently, it would seem the best way to achieve this is by running a bur on one axis, then another blur on the other axis.
      I think I have successfully implemented the blur part per axis, but now I have to blend both calls with a proper BlendState, at least I think this is where my problem is.
      Here are my passes:
      RasterizerState DisableCulling { CullMode = BACK; }; BlendState AdditiveBlend { BlendEnable[0] = TRUE; BlendEnable[1] = TRUE; SrcBlend[0] = SRC_COLOR; BlendOp[0] = ADD; BlendOp[1] = ADD; SrcBlend[1] = SRC_COLOR; }; technique11 BlockTech { pass P0 { SetVertexShader(CompileShader(vs_5_0, VS())); SetGeometryShader(NULL); SetPixelShader(CompileShader(ps_5_0, PS_BlurV())); SetRasterizerState(DisableCulling); SetBlendState(AdditiveBlend, float4(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0), 0xffffffff); } pass P1 { SetVertexShader(CompileShader(vs_5_0, VS())); SetGeometryShader(NULL); SetPixelShader(CompileShader(ps_5_0, PS_BlurH())); SetRasterizerState(DisableCulling); } }  
      D3DX11_TECHNIQUE_DESC techDesc; mBlockEffect->mTech->GetDesc( &techDesc ); for(UINT p = 0; p < techDesc.Passes; ++p) { deviceContext->IASetVertexBuffers(0, 2, bufferPointers, stride, offset); deviceContext->IASetIndexBuffer(mIB, DXGI_FORMAT_R32_UINT, 0); mBlockEffect->mTech->GetPassByIndex(p)->Apply(0, deviceContext); deviceContext->DrawIndexedInstanced(36, mNumberOfActiveCubes, 0, 0, 0); } No blur

PS_BlurV

PS_BlurH

P0 + P1

As you can see, it does not work at all.
      I think the issue is in my BlendState, but I am not sure.
      I've seen many articles going with the render to texture approach, but I've also seen articles where both shaders were called in succession, and it worked just fine, I'd like to go with that second approach. Unfortunately, the code was in OpenGL where the syntax for running multiple passes is quite different (http://rastergrid.com/blog/2010/09/efficient-gaussian-blur-with-linear-sampling/). So I need some help doing the same in HLSL :-)

Thanks!
    • By Fleshbits
      Back around 2006 I spent a good year or two reading books, articles on this site, and gobbling up everything game dev related I could. I started an engine in DX10 and got through basics. I eventually gave up, because I couldn't do the harder things.
      Now, my C++ is 12 years stronger, my mind is trained better, and I am thinking of giving it another go.
      Alot has changed. There is no more SDK, there is evidently a DX Toolkit, XNA died, all the sweet sites I used to go to are 404, and google searches all point to Unity and Unreal.
      I plainly don't like Unity or Unreal, but might learn them for reference.
      So, what is the current path? Does everyone pretty much use the DX Toolkit? Should I start there? I also read that DX12 is just expert level DX11, so I guess I am going DX 11.
      Is there a current and up to date list of learning resources anywhere?  I am about tired of 404s..

• By Stewie.G
      Hi,

I've been trying to implement a basic gaussian blur using the gaussian formula, and here is what it looks like so far:
      float gaussian(float x, float sigma)
      {
          float pi = 3.14159;
          float sigma_square = sigma * sigma;
          float a = 1 / sqrt(2 * pi*sigma_square);
          float b = exp(-((x*x) / (2 * sigma_square)));
          return a * b;
      }
      My problem is that I don't quite know what sigma should be.
      It seems that if I provide a random value for sigma, weights in my kernel won't add up to 1.
      So I ended up calling my gaussian function with sigma == 1, which gives me weights adding up to 1, but also a very subtle blur.
      Here is what my kernel looks like with sigma == 1
              [0]    0.0033238872995488885    
              [1]    0.023804742479357766    
              [2]    0.09713820127276819    
              [3]    0.22585307043511713    
              [4]    0.29920669915475656    
              [5]    0.22585307043511713    
              [6]    0.09713820127276819    
              [7]    0.023804742479357766    
              [8]    0.0033238872995488885    

I would have liked it to be more "rounded" at the top, or a better spread instead of wasting [0], [1], [2] with values bellow 0.1.
      Based on my experiments, the key to this is to provide a different sigma, but if I do, my kernel values no longer adds up to 1, which results to a darker blur.
      I've found this post 
      ... which helped me a bit, but I am really confused with this the part where he divide sigma by 3.
      Can someone please explain how sigma works? How is it related to my kernel size, how can I balance my weights with different sigmas, ect...

• By mc_wiggly_fingers
      Is it possible to asynchronously create a Texture2D using DirectX11?
      I have a native Unity plugin that downloads 8K textures from a server and displays them to the user for a VR application. This works well, but there's a large frame drop when calling CreateTexture2D. To remedy this, I've tried creating a separate thread that creates the texture, but the frame drop is still present.
      Is there anything else that I could do to prevent that frame drop from occuring?
    • By cambalinho
      i'm trying draw a circule using math:
      class coordenates { public: coordenates(float x=0, float y=0) { X = x; Y = y; } float X; float Y; }; coordenates RotationPoints(coordenates ActualPosition, double angle) { coordenates NewPosition; NewPosition.X = ActualPosition.X*sin(angle) - ActualPosition.Y*sin(angle); NewPosition.Y = ActualPosition.Y*cos(angle) + ActualPosition.X*cos(angle); return NewPosition; } but now i know that these have 1 problem, because i don't use the orign.
      even so i'm getting problems on how i can rotate the point.
      these coordinates works between -1 and 1 floating points.
      can anyone advice more for i create the circule?
  • Advertisement