A bit of advice please

Started by
2 comments, last by Kylotan 14 years, 5 months ago
Hello all, Just a quick question (i dont have much time) im thinking of applying to this course: BA (Hons) Multimedia http://www.ntu.ac.uk/apps/pss/courses/cf/60816-1/10/BA_(Hons)_Multimedia.aspx i hope to break ito the creative side of gaming e.g. world building, level designer, character modelling etc. i have a strong intrest in all type of media but game development is my main interest. any feedback would be great thanks for your time
Advertisement
it looks in line with what you want to do. Spend lots of whatever free time you have working on mods for games. Best training ever. Let the course teach you stuff like how to use Max and Maya and plan/lay out environments, then apply that to games ASAP. Better even if they let you do that as part of your applied coursework.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

yeah ive been reseaching courses for months, this university happens to be local also.

To help me on the road to the game industry I have also been taking classes in subjects like, sociology, graphics, business studies etc. I am also a grade 6 guitar (Could be useful?). my whole school career has been focused on quite a broad education (I hear this is useful as designers are often "Jack-of-all-trades")

Any more feedback would be great! I hope im going the right way about this?
Broad education is good but you still need specifics. It's hard to see how much time you will spend on the actual modelling on that course, so make sure you are practising your skills in your spare time. Bear in mind that the 3D modelling route is pushing you perhaps more towards the 'artist' designation than the 'designer' designation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement