What project managment do you use at work?

Started by
8 comments, last by Pete Michaud 14 years, 5 months ago
Hi friends! Which professional project managment do you know? (it does not matter if it is free or paid) I already tested TRAC but it is not what I'm looking for as there is no task dependencies (or it is not clear). Now I'm reading about hansoft and it seems better. I'd like to know your opinions and other tools. Thanks.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Advertisement
We used Trac and our PM wrote a bit of custom code to handle the tracking of dependencies.
Used to use Hansoft (which I found to be awesome), but then we made the switch to Project (which didn't work, because noone could figure out how to make it so that multiple people could edit the database at the same time), and so now we're using SharePoint (meh, but better than nothing).
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
we use basecamp at work
Quote:Original post by zer0wolf
Used to use Hansoft (which I found to be awesome), but then we made the switch to Project (which didn't work, because noone could figure out how to make it so that multiple people could edit the database at the same time), and so now we're using SharePoint (meh, but better than nothing).

Thanks. I'm also interested in hearing your opinions about Hansoft. I'm trying it, but not in a real enviroment. Do you believe this is the best app for project managment?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
I used to use ScrumWorks Basic, but switched to OpenGoo since it has a lot more features.
I think its better to think about project management as a methodology and use tools which support that methodology. That said I see a lot of MS Project for Gantt charts and simple management with Bijingo and Jira for Enterprise wide approaches.
Quote:Original post by taijianT
I think its better to think about project management as a methodology and use tools which support that methodology. That said I see a lot of MS Project for Gantt charts and simple management with Bijingo and Jira for Enterprise wide approaches.

Thanks

I used MS project when I was at University, but at that time I thought it was very simple ( 3 or 4 years ago)
Quote:Original post by taijianT
I think its better to think about project management as a methodology and use tools which support that methodology.

^This, the tools are (although still important and/or useful) secondary.

The main methodology taught to me was PRINCE2, but I can't claim to be know it well. I find that project management methodologies tend to be represented by a thick soup of low-expressiveness-to-content-ratio business-vocab that even I can't seem to claw my way through - which is a shame, because project management is important in any non-trivial team project.

On tools, apart from all the pretty deliverables graphs et al (which I recall MS Project being dragged out for), MS Word (or similar) is probably the most-used "tool" in project management.

EDIT: I bounce around 3 or 4 forums - it's no wonder I end up using BBCode URL tags on the wrong one. >_>
I use FogBugz, it's pretty spiffy. Dependencies are easy with it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement