• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
FranckDG

RE: porting from DirectX9 to DirectX11

This topic is 3123 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am trying to come up with an estimate for a client on how long it would take to port their engine from DirectX 9 to DirectX 11. I was wondering if anyone has done this and could provide me with a ballpark estimate. I know it varies greatly from engine to engine but I would like to know if I am talking 2 to 4 weeks or 2 to 4 months here so any ballpark estimate will be helpful. thanks! Franck-

Advertisement
I think any estimate will require a little bit more information. If you could find out:

How many people will be involved in the port?
How many people were involved in developing the original engine?
How long it took to make the original engine?

NVidia published a post mortem of Hellgate:London porting process from D3D9 to D3D10 a few years back, you might want to search it and read it.

D3D9 to D3D11 is very similar, but be prepared for more work if you're going to use the new features such as multi-threaded drawing, tessellation and compute shaders. These features are not especially difficult to use, but they don't have direct equivalents in D3D9.

Also it depends a lot on what kind of port you want to do. If you just want it to run on d3d10/d3d11 and can accept performance that is even a bit worse than d3d9, then the porting can be done pretty fast. This would be a port, where you just "emulate" the d3d9 api style with d3d10. Also it depends a lot on the design of your engine, so on which level your abstraction from the d3d9 api is made (or if there is made any abstraction at all). The more code you have to touch, the longer it will take (usually).

If you want to port everything to a clean d3d10 implementation, than it will take longer. This is the only way to really gain any performance when comparing to d3d9.

I would be the only person doing this port. The engine they are using is a variation of the Unreal 2.5 engine. I expect that they would want me to make a simple port at first but at least to optimize shader constants...

From looking at the code, I am thinking 6 to 8 weeks but I could use a second opinion!!

thanks!

franck-

I am under the impression that you cannot modify the internals of UE to the point of implementing a new renderer. I could be wrong, though.

Usually, the public interfaces of a pre-packaged engine only allow modifying of the game state, and deliberately hide details such as underlying rendering technology.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!