Making it in the Industry

Started by
4 comments, last by game developers org 14 years, 5 months ago
My real name is Timothy Springer. I live in Barbados(Caribbean island). I have the passion and drive to make games, it is something I want to do so badly in my life I can taste it! But living here in the Caribbean there aren't any connections to the gaming industry(the Universities don't even teach Game Simulation). If there is anyone out there who can help me get to a University, An Internship, something I would be thankful. Video games are entertainment but they are also worlds where people can escape real life and be that somebody the world depends on. Timothy
Advertisement
Moving to Breaking In.
best of luck finding a sponsor. Best bet would be for you to a) move state-side or b) train through online courses/sites like this and do your own games. Yea, getting set up here in the states might be tough but if you really wanna do it...

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Your best bet may just be to learn as much online / from books as you can, and try and make some games for itouch / iphone, or on XNA, or do some flash game programming.

Those guys are the easiest for independent game programmers like yourself to make money from to hopefully be able to make a career out of it!

Also, if you make a game or 2, even if it doesnt sell very well, you can use it as a demo of what you can do and can perhaps work as a contractor for game companies from your house.

Then from there, maybe some game company would want to hire you on site, or maybe by then you will just want to make your own game company with some friends or something? (:

i dunno, might not be the best course for you but theres some ideas :;shrug::
Timothy, you don't "have" to go to a game school. You can get a regular university education in whatever subject matter you like.
Have you decided which kind of work you want to do in games yet?
Read about game careers at IGDA and FAQ 7
How to choose a college/university
How to choose a degree

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hello,

schools are only important to set the basis to learn about how to learn, and that you can learn with just about higher education.
If you really want to be game designer, go to the university, graduate in whatever you think you could like.

In the between, more than reading books, which are sometimes very hard to understand, I would start by reading blogs about game design. There are huge set of them over the internet with their personal experiences about game design. By reading blogs you can have a direct contact with that experience and you can communicate with the blog author increasing the learning potential.

Once you feel you have more or less some overview about the discipline, start to create your own game concepts, game designs, and share them with friends, or even send them to game designers with whom you have create contacts, receivign feedback is the best way to increase the speed of learning.

After that, even if you were in the north pole, you would still be connected to the internet, find projects needing game designers, and try to participate in it. There are hundreds of opensource projects with remoter collaborators seeking for good game designers, and the only thing that you need to join in, is a connection and the wish/will to participate.

If you want to know about game designs blogs, go to
http://www.game-designers.net , they are keeping a good reference to game design information.

Regards,

D.
Game Developershttp://www.game-developers.orgFrom Developers 2 Developers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement