• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sbabriuz

OpenGL OpenGL on browser ?

This topic is 3274 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, First sorry for my bad English language. Maybe is Open Source/Tutorials how to create OpenGL plugin/applications whick show OpenGL on Browsers(Mozilla Firefox,Google Chrome,IE etc.) Something like Java Web Player, Flash Player,Unity3D Web Player SilverLight and other. And which programming language can programming Web players( Something like: Unity3D Web Player,Flash Web Player and others. ) ? It is Hard ? how long you programming something like Player ? :) Thanks for you reply!. :)

Advertisement
In September 2009 WebGL was announced. WebGL allows OpenGL in your browser via java. So, except having java available, no other plugins are necessary.

I don't know the exact state of WebGL, but it sounds promising because it should provide OpenGL posibilities on a large range of platforms (basically: every platform that has a browser with java as far as I know).

You can also use Java Applets together with LWJGL to run OpenGL in the browser. It works rather nicely, especially with Java 6u10 and later, but your client must have a Java browser plugin installed (but that's also true for Flash, Unity, Silverlight, etc). It works on Windows, Linux, Mac, and potentially on Solaris.

It's not particularly hard, although some knowledge of Java is of course needed. LWJGL has some example applet code that you can look at. The advantage is that you don't need the latest Firefox beta to run it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!