Unreal Editor 3 Released for Free

Started by
20 comments, last by Scionwest 14 years, 5 months ago
Today Epic Games has released the unreal editor 3 for free, titled "Unreal Development Kit" its now available for everyone to download! Check it out here http://www.udk.com
Advertisement
Exciting news! I will have to check this out at some point.
Only free does not mean free, it is only free for non commercial use.
"You insulted me!" I did not say that in the private message Tom Sloper!
This is pretty sweet. Interesting licensing terms though. I like the fact that you don't have to pay up front, and they only make money on you if you actually make something worth selling.
Great if you want to built a prototype fast, but then you'd have to buy the real thing. Not bad for a small team, but 25% royalties sounds high.

From the UDK Commercial Terms: A team creates a game with UDK that they intend to sell. After six months of development, they release the game through digital distribution and they earn €15,000 in the first calendar quarter after release. Their use of UDK during development requires no fee. After earning €15,000, they would be required to pay Epic €2,500 (€0 on the first €5,000 in revenue, and €2,500 on the next €10,000 in revenue). On subsequent revenue, they are required to pay the 25% royalty.
On a lighter note, I can't believe udk.com wasn't taken.
This licensing model is interesting for hobbyists or very small indie teams.
With those terms, that looks like a pretty sweet deal no matter how you slice it. Go Epic.

My Games -- My Music 

Come join us for some friendly game dev discussions over in XNA Chat!

Quote:Original post by Fenrisulvur
On a lighter note, I can't believe udk.com wasn't taken.

Or maybe it was and Epic bought it for absurd sums of money. ;-)

I'm excited. Now I have Unity and UDK to play with on top of SunBurn.
25% doesn't sound bad at all considering Apple takes a 30% cut without providing an engine!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement