Programmers

Started by
14 comments, last by Palidine 14 years, 5 months ago
How could a person with a program that generates video games find developers interested in using or purchasing their program?
Advertisement
Well, the general answer is that you have to make sure that you product provides features which others do not, or alternatively provides competitive pricing or licensing. There will be a lot of inertia to overcome too, as generally people have made an investment (both time and money) into their existing programs.

It's also worth noting that in the last week both Unity and Epic have released free versions of their engines, presumably to entice hobbyist and indie developers. Failing this, a good demo is crucial.

And of course, you need to make sure people know about your product so advertising is very important. Beyond that, you'll have to give more details about what you're doing. Have you checked out your competition?
Quote:Original post by jssenger
How could a person with a program that generates video games find developers interested in using or purchasing their program?
What exactly is a 'program that generates video games'? Are you talking about some sort of WYSIWYG editor built around a game engine, such as Game Maker or Unity?

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I would let the program generate some nice video games and sell those...
Hire a marketing firm?
Hi Josh,
As I replied to you on my own bulletin board when you emailed me this question:

As the old saying goes, "make games, not engines."
So your friend has made a game engine. That's great. How many games has he made with it? Can anybody go on the Internet and find those games that have been made with his engine? How much money have those games earned? How much good press have those games gotten? How high do those games rank on GameSpot or IGN or GameRankings?

You're probably getting the idea. But to belabor the point: He needs to make games with his engine, and he needs to make those games successful. A LOT of young guys think it's an easier route to game biz glory to create an engine than to create a hit game. But those young guys are all wrong.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

By undertaking a marketing campaign on/in video game development related web sites and magazine. The campaign would need to explain the benefits of the system when compared to its counterparts.

This campaign could include press releases and advertising but the most useful marketing tool, when selling an engine, is proof that it works. As others have said above this is best done by making some great games using the system.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Mr. Marchant,
I am curious as to what type of organization would purchase this product?
Mr. Marchant,

People that make games silly.

We've already told you that it's unlikely that any organization will purchase your friend's product until and unless it has been used to create some games successfully.
That said, the term you're looking for is "development companies" or "game developers."
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson28.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_developer

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement