Please help me design this SQL query

Started by
12 comments, last by Wan 14 years, 5 months ago
Hello. I'm familiar with basic SQL but this is making my head hurt... I have a table of names and addresses, string fields FORENAME, SURNAME, ADDRESS. I want to select addresses by the number of distinct surnames therein. For example, If I have stored (FORENAME,SURNAME,ADDRESS) John,Smith,A Jill,Smith,A Adam,Jones,A Jack,Smith,B Jane,Smith,B I want to retrieve (ADDRESS,NUM_FAMILIES) A,2 B,1 Also since this is probably going to involve something like "SELECT ADDRESS, [expression] AS NUM_FAMILIES" is it legal to append "WHERE NUM_FAMILIES>x" even though the NUM_FAMILIES token has only just been defined? Incidentally, I'm trying to do this in OpenOffice Base, in case that matters. Thanks if you can help.
Advertisement
You can make use of the aggregate function "count", along with "group by" and a "having" clause:

Count function
Group By
Having

Something like this (untested):

select address, count(address) as num_familiesfrom my_address_table_heregroup by addresshaving num_families > 1
Thanks for your suggestion, but that doesn't deal at all the problem! I am aware of COUNT etc, but the only way I can imagine to use them to solve this is imperatively in another language. How, within SQL can I get this result declaratively?

Thanks for your time.
Alimonster's answer is pretty much the best you're going to get without spelling it out for you or describing the entirety of group by/having behavior line by line.

That answer is probably more complete than I would give for something that smells decidedly like homework.
Hint: there exists a distinct keyword you can use in combination with the count function. Then group by what ever you need to distinct.
The closest I've come is

SELECT    DISTINCT address AS a,    (SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT surname) AS n FROM Table1 WHERE address=a)FROM Table1

This doesn't work, the inner query doesn't recognise 'a'. A stored procedure might tidy this up but I can't figure out how to make stored procedures work in OpenOffice Base. Any tips?
I think this should work (untested):
SELECT  DISTINCT address, COUNT(DISTINCT(surname))FROM  Table1GROUP BY  address
In the first column we're selecting all distinct addresses, in the second column we count the number of distinct surnames within a particular address.
SELECT  ans.address, count(*)FROM  (    SELECT      address, surname, count(*) AS num    FROM      table    GROUP BY      address, surname  ) AS ansGROUP BY  ans.address
I haven't tested this, but I think it'll work. Using your sample data, the inner SELECT should give results like this:

A,Smith,2
A,Jones,1
B,Smith,2

And the outer SELECT should return

A,2
B,1

It can probably be refined further (for example, you don't really need the COUNT(*) in the inner select, it's just for demonstration purposes)
Quote:Original post by spraff
Thanks for your suggestion, but that doesn't deal at all the problem!

The reply by Alimonster was exactly what you asked for. It wasnt even pseudocode, it was a 100% valid SQL query that does what you asked for (+ background information).

It seems that you assumed it wouldn't work as-is and just "politely" requested someone else come up with a ready-made query for you.
Quote:Original post by kirsis
Quote:Original post by spraff
Thanks for your suggestion, but that doesn't deal at all the problem!

The reply by Alimonster was exactly what you asked for. It wasnt even pseudocode, it was a 100% valid SQL query that does what you asked for (+ background information).
Actually, Alimonster's solution doesn't do what he asked for...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement