Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyCode

point vector to texture space

hello, I wonder, is it possible to transform an object space point vector by a tangent matrix to texture space? Becouse I have heard that tangent matrix only rotates direction vectors. I would like to move an object space position vector to 3dimensional texture space. It is becouse I would like to then subtract [u,v,0] point from it thus have a very precise light direction vector. I also do not very well understand interpolators on vertex output-> pixel input transfer. In general you set the light direction in vertex shader but direction is different for every pixel on the triangle anyway for a point light for example. Moving to texture space sounds like an option to perform vertex operations with pixels. I am curious for the results, gonna dig it right away ...>

I have two results:
1- I transformed not normalized vector to texture space and measured its length in pixel shader... good result (I think this is thanks to interpolators)
2- I transformed a position vector to texture space and subtracted [u,v,0] from it... bad result

So guys, come on, can a tangent matrix transform position vectors? If not, what matrix could do so? Lets find such a matrix, might come in handy.

What is a "tangent" matrix? I'm not familiar with the term.

If you want to map 3D space to 2D texture coordinate space in a linear way, then yes, there is an affine matrix which can do that. Is that what you want?