Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nanobyte

Sprite Engine

Hello everyone... I was wondering if there is anything like the "bob" engine in the "tricks of the windows game programming gurus" book that is for directx 8. I am just looking to simple animations like explosions and such. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Chris Lynch

The "BOB" Structure is a good starting point, but DirectX 8 has changed the whole ballgame. If you are looking for a straight DirectDraw Engine, like the original "BOB" is, you can easily create your own from the information in "Tricks of the.." as well as the information here on GameDev. If you really want to try DirectX 8 (aka DirectGraphics), please take the time to view the articles here. DirectX 8 no longer has a seperate DirectDraw component. You can still use DirectDraw, but it is only version 7.

DirectX 8 uses 3D hardware/acceleration to produce various effects. It is possible to use this feature to create 2D engines, which on today''s video cards, perform much better than just using straight DirectDraw. Check out the information here on GameDev. If you are looking for some sample code, I have some of both routes (DirectX 8 or DirectDraw (DX7)). Good Luck!

-----------------------------
kevin@mayday-anime.com
http://dainteractive.mayday-anime.com