Sign in to follow this  
mlt

kd-tree implementation?

I need a kd-tree implementation that returns the k nearest neighbors to a point as objects. Something like this: std::vector<MyObj> neighbors; // Add some objects to myObjects with location vectors and other identifiers. int radius = 40; // radius in pixels. VectorType point(3,5) // The point. KDtree tree; tree.search(point, radius, neighbors); When search returns it should contain all neighbors to point within the specified radius. I have googled various kd-tree implementations but they all just return the distance to the point as vectors. In my case I need to use additional information for each of the neighbors, such as ID and other values. Do I need to invent the wheel here or does anyone know of an implementation that has this more object oriented approach?

Hmm, it looks like libkdtree++ does half of what you want. It's modeled after the STL's containers - templated so you can insert any kind of data, and the library accesses the relevant k-dimensional value for the object by using a function object (that returns a value given a dimension) that you give as a template parameter. However, it doesn't seem to have a k-nearest neighbour search built in, but the mailing list seems to suggest you can hack one in by abusing the predicate passed in to the find methods.

There's a simple-looking C library, kdtree as well. BSD licensed, allows you to associate arbitrary data to points via void *s, and has a k-nearest neighbour function.

Note that I haven't personally used either of these libraries - I rolled my own kd-tree implementation for a raytracer I wrote.