Sign in to follow this  

XNA C# and Networking MO

This topic is 2962 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I have just finished my First 3D Game. Just waiting for the Models etc. to be finished. My Next Project I want to do something with networking seen as I have very little knowledge in the subject so far. (I can do Network Programming in Java, thanks to a book from O'Reilly) This Next Project, I wanted to make a Isometric game, like Habbo Hotel etc. that 'acts' like a MO (Notice it says MO not MMO ... I removed the massivley bit)as i'm not actually bothered about number of players (I would only have sorta 3-5). The Next Floor I hit is I don't know much about servers. So I wanted to ask What type of server would be needed, would it cost anything? (I currently have a Website/service that BT Hosts and it came as part of my internet deal with them. would this suffice?) Any book/Articles that you'd recommend? again sorry if this is a newbie question :) I really want to learn more about networking, etc. so i'm not really full of the jargon at the moment [Edited by - Andy474 on November 7, 2009 7:30:05 AM]

No, a "web host" generally is not sufficient for an actual, operating game with hosted servers. The Forum FAQ goes into a little more detail on this topic -- you might want to read through it for a general introduction to various networking concepts and challenges. Expect to pay between $40 - $400 per month, depending on the needs of the game (and it sounds like you'd be at the lower end of that).

This topic is 2962 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.