the easiest way to learn C#?

Started by
10 comments, last by daedalus0x1a4 14 years, 5 months ago
Hi all, what is the easiest way to learn C#? i need it for game programming. thanks
Advertisement
Do you already know a different programming language?
i know macromedia(adobe) Director scripting language(Lingo).
I bought Beginning Visual C# 2008 and it tought me a lot.
Fate fell short this time your smile fades in the summer.
I'm going to extend the topic question with:

Where's the best/preferred online reference documentation for the C# language, .NET libraries etc?

Please note that I am quite familiar with MSDN.

As for the original question, can't help you there - I learnt the .NET tongues from a course and a scattershot of web articles (and MSDN, sure, but the place still kinda shits me). I wish I had a good tutorial to point people to for each language I use, though.
Charles Petzold has a free C# book availabe called net zero or something that can help you learn C# but I wouldn't call it the easiest to work through.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
It's called ".NET Book Zero" and it's intended for people already experienced programming in C and C++. It's not a good source for someone without experience in those or similar languages.
He could just give it a try.

The book starts very basic IMHO. He (probably) won't understand everything at once no matter what book he reads.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Quote:Original post by lingo1357
what is the easiest way to learn C#?
i need it for game programming.
I don't think there is a universal "easiest" way that is "easiest" for everybody. We're all different and we all learn in different ways. You've already got plenty of possible answers, but I would just point out that you shouldn't expect to pick up C# in a couple of hours and start coding the next WoW over the weekend...

So what are your expectations here? What sort of games do you expect to be programming, and how quickly do you want to start coding them?
You will want to write as much code as you can. It's too easy to get stuck reading and never actually practicing what you learn. When picking up a new language it is critical that you become very familiar with how things are done, or you'll forget it all overnight.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement