Got a question about Ant

Started by
7 comments, last by metallicsoul92 14 years, 5 months ago
how do you build it? i installed it, i wanna build games through Java. (Jagex is my Idol lol) so yea, how do you build it?

Advertisement
You generally don't build ant, just install it. How did you install it?
put it in Program files, went to the enviornment variables, put : ANT_HOME in , then C:\programfiles\Ant, and then the JAVA_HOME in and put in C:\java\jdk(blah blah blah)

im using eclipse, and whenever i try to compile and use ant, it says: cannot find ant file to run

Do you have a build.xml file for your project? I believe this is what ant searches for by default.
no i do not lol. thats probably why i cant. how do i get that?

Are you sure you even need ant then? Eclipse does a perfectly serviceable job of building your projects by itself. Custom build tools like ant and maven can be overkill for lone developers, particularly inexperienced ones. Not to say that they don't have advantages, just that they also bring complexity.

You can find sample build.xml files online, which you can adapt to your own project's needs.
so does that mean i dont even need ant?

You don't need ant, no. Why do you want to use it? Technologies like ant have trade offs. You need to think about what are the pros and cons of using ant to build your project.

If you are a beginner, then I'd probably advise you to stick to eclipse's internal builder for the time being.
ok, so to take off ant, just delete the enviornment variable?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement