Sign in to follow this  

DirectX 9 Animated Mesh

This topic is 2963 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to add to my engine and get better with DX. In terms of meshes I have a class right now that does it the simple way. Using D3DXLoadMeshFromX. It supports textures too. But now I want to make a class that uses animated meshes. I found two ways of doing it. 1) Using D3DXLoadMeshHierarchyFromX 2) Or make a parser. I looked up tutorials on how to use D3DXLoadMeshHierarchyFromX but they use a lot of derived structs and multiple classes. Even the DirectX sample is complex. Any simpler way to do it? Why should I make a parser instead? Any advantages?

If you're very familiar with animated meshes, arrays (vectors, etc.), lerping and other matrix manipulations, you can certainly write your own load routine.

However, if you don't feel comfortable with the above types of programming in DX, I'd recommend gutting it out and using D3DXLoadMeshHierarchyFromX. There certainly are inherited classes (it's sort of a mess) but (depending on your programming level) you'll probably get a class working more quickly.

Before you make the decision, you may want to look at all the built-in DX classes (animation controller, skininfo class, etc.) that you'll have to create yourself.

This topic is 2963 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.