Starting on C++

Started by
6 comments, last by Stani R 14 years, 5 months ago
Hey Im new to programming and codin whatever its called and im using C++ I got a book C++ for Dummies, im in the 2nd chapter and some of the stuff is just going straight over my head and not makin any sence at all, any help??
Advertisement
A lot of learning how to program is learning how to ask questions. First off, the book you chose is a terrible resource for learning C++.

In any case, what exactly are you having trouble understanding?
Try cplusplus.com. That's were I started learning C++
I trust exceptions about as far as I can throw them.
Hey,

I almost always point beginners with their hearts set on C++ to Steve Heller's C++: A Dialog.
There are plenty of good resources for learning C++ on the internet. I wouldn't waste money on a book, especially a "Dummies" one.

Chapter 2 starts talking about variables, right? As long as you understand the need for variables and the basics of how to use them, don't worry too much about the rest for now. When you're first learning about C++, there will probably be points when you're saying, "When would I ever use that?" Don't spend too much time stressing about it and just keep going. As long as you're aware it's there, when the time comes that you actually need it, you'll remember about it, and then you can go back and read about it again.

Try to get programming as soon as possible, even if it's a stupid little guessing game. The sooner you do, the sooner you'll find uses for all the stuff you're learning about.
--------------------Configuration: error maker - Win32 Debug--------------------Compiling...error maker.cppLinking...error maker.exe - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
Quote:Original post by Schnozzinkobenstein
There are plenty of good resources for learning C++ on the internet. I wouldn't waste money on a book, especially a "Dummies" one.

Chapter 2 starts talking about variables, right? As long as you understand the need for variables and the basics of how to use them, don't worry too much about the rest for now. When you're first learning about C++, there will probably be points when you're saying, "When would I ever use that?" Don't spend too much time stressing about it and just keep going. As long as you're aware it's there, when the time comes that you actually need it, you'll remember about it, and then you can go back and read about it again.

Try to get programming as soon as possible, even if it's a stupid little guessing game. The sooner you do, the sooner you'll find uses for all the stuff you're learning about.

Very good advice. It is not important right now to know how something works or why it works. In fact, it isn't even crucial to remember how to use it. It is only important that you know when you would use it. No programmer on earth remembers every single bit and syntax of all the classes in a modern class library (which are typically mind-blowingly huge), and even experienced programmers refer to documentation often. As long as you know where to look in your documentation, you will be able to use it to get the job done.
Quote:Original post by Fenrisulvur
Hey,

I almost always point beginners with their hearts set on C++ to Steve Heller's C++: A Dialog.

Yup!
Check it out.

p.s. I don't think I ever read a decent Dummies book so I"d avoid those as already mentioned.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Another free book to check out online is Thinking in C++.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement