Outsourcing nearshore instead of offshore

Started by
1 comment, last by frob 14 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I have been reading papers and publications about the game industry going more into a period of outsourcing of development and testing. I would like to know your opinion and council onto how I could start getting contracts for Game Testing. I know people in the nearshore business for software development but not for the game industry. I have been in software testing now for over 5 years and I would like to take my career more into the business of game development. There are very qualified people here in Mexico that could get hired for even lower wages than the low end entry level testers in the USA. ANy thoughts? Any contacts?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by mxLukar
how I could start getting contracts for Game Testing.

Network. Go to conferences. Attend IGDA meetings (if there is no chapter near you, start one).
Read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson54.htm for more tips on how to network.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by mxLukar
going more into a period of outsourcing of development and testing.
Outsourcing does not mean offshore. I've seen just about every type of job outsourced --- janitorial work, building maintenance, payroll, legal services, artwork, programming, testing, translation, manufacturing, tech support, and so on.

It is cheaper for a game company to hire a professional QA firm for four months than it is to maintain a professional QA staff. Testing is not their main business; making games is their main business. That is why they contract the work.
Quote:I would like to know your opinion and council onto how I could start getting contracts for Game Testing.

You get contracts for it exactly the same way you get contracts for any other job.

You need to make sure you can actually provide professional game testing services. If you can do that, then you need to approach companies that are big enough to require the services and small enough to prefer contracting the work.

Find those companies and market your services to them. You need to convince them that you are able to do the job well, better than your competitors, and at a price that fits their budget.

Assuming you do that and you are the best bid, you will get the job.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement