Sign in to follow this  
metallicsoul92

Necessary parts to a video game

stenny    142
Audio. Never, ever, forget that! ò_ó

On a more serious note: you'd need a lot more than those three. But try and think about it yourself. Go play a game and ask yourself: what's all running in the background? What makes this experience (or breaks it by a lack thereof)?

jyk    2094
Quote:
I know i need The coding and graphics, but what exactly else do i need?
That's a very general question (and one that probably would have been more at home in the 'For Beginners' forum).

To begin with, when you say 'graphics', are you referring to art assets such as fonts, textures, models, and so on? If so, then yes, code and graphics (i.e. art assets) are two of the things usually needed to create a video game. Another major category would be sound assets (such as sound effects and music).

Note however that there are many ways to go about creating a game, so there isn't really one 'right' answer to your question. For example, it's entirely possible to create a game using an authoring tool such as Game Maker without doing any coding per se; in that case, all you really need is art and sound assets and the authoring tool itself.

If you need more info, here are some questions for you:

1. What skills do you have? Do you have any experience with programming, sound, or visual art?

2. If you have programming experience, what languages are you familiar with, and how would you rate your skill level?

3. What type of games are you interested in making?

4. What platform(s) are you interested in targeting?

EternityZA    1226
Content. Like models/sprites/sounds etc etc. If youre just starting out you shouldnt focus on content too much though. you can code youre game using placeholder graphics like cubes and then you can replace them with actual models/sprites once you have something that works. As for sounds/music - best leave that for last unless you allready have everything available to you from the start.

metallicsoul92    136
is the engine another part of the coding?
or is that a totally different application?
and engine is the framework?

well. heres another question, am i right when i say :

you start out with framework, then you make the engine, then you add more coding into it, then the graphics?

jyk    2094
Quote:
is the engine another part of the coding?
or is that a totally different application?
and engine is the framework?

well. heres another question, am i right when i say :

you start out with framework, then you make the engine, then you add more coding into it, then the graphics?
Based on the questions you're asking, I'd suggest that (if you have a Windows machine available) you download Game Maker and work through some of the tutorials. This will give you a sense of what's involved in creating a simple game in a very favorable environment (no coding will be involved, and assets and step-by-step instructions will be provided for you).

If after that you find you're still interested in making games, you can try something a little more involved, such as creating a simple game in Game Maker from scratch using your own assets.

The things you're asking about - engines, frameworks, coding, etc. - generally require significant experience to get a handle on (it's usually not as simple as just starting with an engine and then 'adding more coding into it'). This is why I suggest starting with something a little more beginner-friendly, such as Game Maker.